• Loram Rail Grinder (?) on E branch of Green Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by johnpbarlow

As I drove down Huntington Ave toward Northeastern U yesterday, I noticed a yellow 3 car MoW machine labelled Loram sitting on a siding. I assume the T is grinding its tracks to preserve rail life but is this also being done to adapt rail profile for use with the Breda cars? I assume the T rents this Loram contraption, no? What other transit systems use Loram grinders and how do they get transported from city to city? Flat car?

by octr202

Assuming its the same or similiar unit, I saw it several years back being hauled into Riverside on several lo-boy tractor trailers.

Considering the amount of grinding that has to be done to accomodate the T8's, I wonder if the T purchased the unit outright.

by Robert Paniagua

Maybe you're right, I hope they are using that to readjust the track for the Type 8's so that they can go that way again, and also have them run on the D Riverside.