• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Anthony RMLI

Evening Folks,

Lots of work going on in Riverhead this winter. Snow does not stop us :)

Check out the latest blog post on the GP-38 Cab Sim.

NEWS UPDATE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/02/ca ... pdate.html

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
Railroad Museum of Long Island
  by M1 9147

Regarding Twin Forks NRHS Chapter stuff, we did a little of our own, but the main thing we did to prevent any break-ins, or other types of vandalism was to get duct tape to seal any window that was kicked in by the snow blowers that went by. Here you will see a photo I took with my BlackBerry of both Anthony our famous Presidents Aide De Camp of RMLI watching on while Rich our Twin Forks NRHS Chapter President applies the tape to one of the windows:

by Anthony RMLI

Evening Folks,

A lot of progress this week at Riverhead. The couple of warm days this week were appreciated for sure!

NEWS UPDATE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/02/li ... ionel.html

Also, Check out a video recently posted of our train show at the Northport Library:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/02/no ... hibit.html

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by M1 9147

Moving on forward to today's actions (3/5), these are my pictures, so here is what we had done. As work is commencing on the completion of the North Building, and the Lionel Layout, work is still being done on installation of metal rails, and the completion of the lights that were donated to the museum. First picture shows the lights installed up close, and when illuminated at night in the background on the left:

Any additional info, Anthony will post.
  by Anthony RMLI

Morning Folks,

As Displayed by Neil's photos a lot is going on in Riverhead these days!!!

Check out the Blog for some new photos and info from the weekend:

New Lights Shine Proudly In Riverhead
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/ne ... rhead.html
RMLI To Be Featured On A New CD Cover
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/rm ... er_05.html

ON FACEBOOK? Make sure you "like" Railroad Museum of Long Island for the fastest way to find out what is happening.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Railroad- ... 4822071922

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by MADDOG

The top photo is the volunteers laying out the ties on the turntable bridge deck-the forklift is out of site to the right of the shot.
The second photo is the finished product at 5pm and Yes the grates have not been moved to their proper postions yet!

Big doings at OBRM-
Saturday 3/12/11 was a GREAT way to begin this year’s work sessions.

With over a dozen volunteers on hand, not including 2 new interns from Barry Technical schools’ welding class, we were able to begin the restoration of our LIRR Ping Pong Coach #7433.
When we received this unit a couple of years ago, it had been “rode hard and put away wet” by both the LIRR and the Knox & Kane tourist railroad. We made a detailed plan of attack to restore the car from the roof down.
This car racked up over a million miles and badly need a restoration. One of the key areas that were flawed in the design of these cars was the way the inner roof sheets were attached to the car itself. There was a gap that allowed water to migrate up from the outside and into the roofing insulation that kept it waterlogged and created a breeding ground for rust to work its way up from the bottom.
Our interns began by removing the riveted strips inside the car at the four corners where the roof sheets met the wall sheets. We already knew that there was a ton of rusted metal, and were prepared for the worst!
Yes, it was as bad as we had anticipated, so after inspecting their progress, I showed them what I wanted done and they set to work as I went back to the turntable.

As the interns were working on the coach, the rest of our volunteers were hard at work placing brand new railroad ties, onto the restored turntable bridge.
I received the ties early Wednesday morning and used my forklift to stack them on site as they were already banded together.
When we removed the old deck from the bridge a couple of years ago, a neighbor of ours at the site donated his time and excavator to remove the deck in two parts.
This deck was placed upon the ground for us to measure and catalog so we could order all new ties.
I had planned on replacing the deck the same way it came off, in 2 parts, already built, on the ground.
While we were going over the days plans and warming ourselves up with hot coffee, a couple of volunteers came up with a different plan to utilize our forklift to move the timbers right onto the bridge deck.
We built a ramp over the concrete pit wall and drove the forklift up the ramp and started dropping ties onto the bridge. After placing the various length ties, I was convinced that not only was this method safe, but was very effective and would save us a ton of time.
We continued placing ties this way until we had enough placed so we could then lay the walkway grates onto the middle of the already laid out ties. We then drove the forklift onto the grating and kept placing the ties until we placed ALL of the ties onto the bridge deck.
Starting at 8am and with a long break for pizza, we finished up at 5pm, so we could clean up and put everything away.

Now all that is left for this project to be deemed complete is to drill and screw down the steel clamping straps to the ties and then the hold down clamps to the bridge.
Fortunately, one of our volunteers, Mike E, will be getting us 2 gas powered drills, one with a drill bit to drill the ties and the other with a special socket to screw down the track screws which he is getting for us.
THEN, we will be re-installing the electrical collector box back onto the turntable arch and re-installing the arch, walkway grates and handrails back onto the turntable.
MADDOG
  by Anthony RMLI

Evening Folks,

We are getting ready for April 9th here in Riverhead, work has continued on a weekly basis since the New Year! Check out the Blog for an update!

NEWS UPDATE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/rm ... forum.html

Also, RMLI will be hosting our 5th educational forum, “AN OVERVIEW OF THE HISTORY OF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD” A slide show and discussion by Mr. Robert C. Sturm. It will be held on Saturday March 26th, so not this weekend bu the following.

CLICK BELOW FOR MORE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/rm ... forum.html

Thank you to President Fisher for writing the report this week while I was away at school taking tests.

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by MADDOG

And the turntable goes round & round.

Another great work day in Oyster Bay.
Another great turnout of volunteers and even a member from the mid-west.
George F. stopped by during his stay in NY and lent a hand to the turntable work.
Even after overcoming an insurmountable amount of issues (problems) with equipment & tools, we were able to get one half of the bridge ties strapped together.

James, one of the interns from from Barry Technical school was working away on the Ping Pong coach.
Since the roof overhangs on the corners of the car are so badly rotted, it looks like he will need 2 sessions to get the old rotted metal off, fabricate the patches in school during the week in order to install the patches the following Saturday.

We fully intend to get the other half strapped together and get the tie clamps installed on the bridge as well.
We also (hope) intend to get both handrails and the walkway grates in place as well. This will be easier since the grates have been properly placed and the area on the ends of the ties which is where the handrail flange plates will be bolted are all ready to accept the plates.
Here are a few photos from today
Enjoy
MADDOG
  by Anthony RMLI

Morning Folks,

We got a lot of work done this weekend to get the museum ready for the 2011 Season, with our G-16 Train set and exhbit cars. The museum in Riverhead will open to the public on Saturday April 9th at 10am.

NEWS UPDATE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/sp ... nance.html

Next weekend the museum will also be hosting it's 5th annual education forum, "AN OVERVIEW OF THE HISTORY OF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD" A slide show and discussion by Mr. Robert C. Sturm, a noted historian of railroads on Long Island and co-author of the book: The New York Connecting Railroad – Long Island’s Other Railroad. The event will be held on Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM at the Suffolk County Historical Society Education Hall, 300 West Main Street, Riverhead, NY

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by Anthony RMLI

Evening Folks,

Another busy week at RMLI Riverhead. We had another very sucessful educational fourm in Riverhead! The Museum also open on April 9th with the grand opening of Histroic Lionel Layout!

NEWS UPDATE:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/03/fo ... nnual.html

Histroic Lionel Layout Fyler:
http://www.jameswerner.net/rmli/LVC_Opening.pdf

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by MADDOG

Oyster Bay Railroad Museum news
Saturday March 26, 2011

WOW!!
Another huge day as we moved even closer to completing the Oyster Bay Railroad Museums turntable.
Many,many hands were on deck to finsh the tie strapping. All of the steel tie straps have been installed and then we installed all 6 of the turntables expanded metal walkway grates.

While this was going on, some of our volunteers were busying themselves by moving, marking and cutting 2 new end timbers for the turntable. These curved timbers are on the very outside of the bridge and have the rail clamps installed on them to line up the turntable with the lead track.
Then, we installed these two last ties and clamped them down as well.
The crew then layed out a string line across the 15 foot ties on the west side of the bridge in order to install the first of the 2 full length handrails.
First the base plates and bottom stantions were put in place and the 4 mounting holes were drilled out to facilitate their installation with galvanized lag bolts. Once all were done, we the added the bottom rail. When these handrails were removed many years ago, this particular unit broke apart at the pipe couplings, so we just cut off the offending couplings and put them together temporarily until the new bolt-on couplings arrive, hopefully this week!
We then placed the vertical piping and finally the top handrail and bolted everything together.
While this task was being done, another small crew was drilling holes and placing the deck clamps.
These cast iron "j bolts" clamp the 15 foot ties to the bridge girders effectively making the entire turntable into one complete unit. The ties themselves were notched to fit over the girders so they couldn't move in a horizontal manner. The clamps now keep them from moving in a vertical manner.

As if these goals weren't enough, another small crew was putting together the electrical overhead arch. We first installed a new steel mounting plate, then the electrical conduit connector to which we will then install (next week) the actual box into which our power lines from LIPA will come into the turntable.These power feeds come in under the floor plate of the box through a rectangular opening and then each one connects to a sprung arm which rubs agains a spinning rotor. This rotor is "split" into 4 brass ringed commutators which are, in turn, wired to the control stand on the turntables bridge deck via 4 cables which feed through the center of the rotating assembly and then INTO the arch piping. These wires feed all the way throught the arches piping and the 4 wires exit underneath the bridges deck ties and go halfway down the bridge and finally underneath and into the control stand.
Inside the stand is where the electricity is sent to the starter, throttle and finally out to the motor!!

During the day our 2 interns from Barry Technical school's welding department, James & Joseph, were hard at work welding in the corner roof panel on our LIRR Ping Pong coach #7433.
All 4 corners have rotted out and were patched with caulking, body filler and ??????.
All of this crap was removed and the patched created. Next week they will have completed the 1st of the 4 corner patches and will begin the 2nd corner.

These lfirst 3 work sessions of this year were well attended and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great crew-
Wayne Beers, Steven Torborg, Mike Efthymiou, Leon Daitz, Doug Kasner, Mark Godoy, Rich Brody, Steve Rothaug, George Mutari, George Forrera, John Specce, our crew from the LI Sunrise Trail chapter NRHS-Gerard Jewels, Elliot Courtney, Mark Licari & John Grocki and more of our newer members, Ricky Imperato, Ronnie Schnepf, Evan Schnepf, Michael Okunowitch and many others who may get ticked off with me for forgetting to list them, but right now I cannot think straight, so I am sorry.

Next week my goals are to finish the 2nd handrail installation, installation of the rest of the electrical collector box, wiring the collector box and preparing to lift the arch in place and to complete the installation of the last 2 deck clamps.
MADDOG
  by MADDOG

Another great large group descended on Oyster Bay yesterday.
Unfortunately Photobucket is not uploading the correct size photos onto this posting so.........
NO PHOTOS unless you go to photobucket.
See my albums at thewineguy35 or click the links below this line
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... todeck.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... emoval.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... talled.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... fittig.jpg

Rich Brody, Doug Kasner, Steve Torborg, Wayne Beers, Mike Efthymiou, Leon Daitz, Ronnie Schnepf, Evan Schnepf, George Mutari, Gerard Jewel, Gary Farkash and our intern from Barry Technical School-James, kicked ass!
While James was busy welding in the patches he created for the corner of the Ping Pong coach, the rest of us busied ourselves with the final fitting of the turntables elecrical collector onto the arch assembly. We also wired it up and re-attach the outriggers on the straight side using new hardware.

The final J-bolts were being installed to hold the turntable deck onto the bridge girders.
Since these bolts are still being made we discussed buying a dozen more to make sure that EVERY 15 foot bridge tie was securely fastened to the deck. We will place these during future wrok sessions.

The last handrail assembly was disassembled and a straight line was set on the top of the deck.
The bottom handrail stantion bases were laid out and the holes drilled for the lag bolts to hold them in place.
After bolting them all in, we added the lower rail, vertical risers and finally the top rail.
When the bolts were all snugged up, we were finished with the handrails-As promised last week.

After lunch, we decided to move ahead with the placing of the two ties on the turntables pit wall.
The east side of the concrete wall had, in the past, a wooden timber wedged into place as a sort of bumping block, 180 degrees from the lead track onto the table. We ordered 2 9 foot ties and cut them to fit tightly in place and when completed, it look real good. So good in fact, that we decided to remove the timber on the lead onto the bridge (180 degrees across from the east side bumping block).
Things got real ugly, real fast as we first had to cut off 4 very, very long cross bolts that were drilled horizontally throught the timber which held it to a previously attached rail tie. This tie was rotted so badly that it was sawdust. We used the "hot wrench" (torch) to cut the bolts, then used a large hammer to knock them through the timber and finally pulled all 4 free of the timber.
This timber must have been there at least 50+ years, maybe even since the pitwall was rebuilt in 1904 , and was in crappy condition.
It fought us tooth and nail, but of course we prevailed in removing it, although we had to call out the big guns and break out the chainsaw. You could still smell fresh creosote as we cut through it.
When the day was done, it was gone.

Not to be outdone, we also began moving all of the used ties that we had piled on the west side of the pit. Unfortunately, our trusty forklift sputtered to a dead stop and we could not get it started. SO, I hiked down to order ignition parts from our local outo parts gurus at OBAR auto parts. The gas feed was fine but we had not spark.
They had a couple of parts in stock but had to order a condesor for under the cap. Oh well, maybe it will start next week!

To condense our days accomplishments:
2nd handrail bolted in place.
deck bolted down to bridge
turntable arch re-assembled, wired and ready to be installed next weekend
Ping Pong coach's 1st rotted corner almost completetly replaced
Pit wall bumping block installed
lead track timber removed
old tie movement begun

We plan on putting our old ties up for sale on Craigslist. First come first served!
Sorry about the photos, but take a look at them online, you won't be disappointed.

Gary
  by Anthony RMLI

Afternoon Folks,

A lot going on this weekend to get us ready for the opening of the Lionel layout. Check out the blog for more!

NEWS POST:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/04/le ... toric.html

ABOUT THE LAYOUT:
http://rmlinews.blogspot.com/2011/04/re ... grand.html

On Facebook? Join our weekly grwoing fan base for up to the second news!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 4822071922

Anthony DeBellis
Presidents' Aide de Camp
  by Mr rt

LI 35 guys, and to think it wasn't that long ago that the turntable looked more like a duck pond :-(
Great work guys !