Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

My copy of the LIRR PJ Branch looks great activites working and all now. so i might upload it to train-sim com. it will give vince somthin to work with when he reaches hicksville and so on.

full credit will be give to David Flynn. for making this branch

by lirrmike

I'm be waiting for the download, hopefully not too long!

Mike

by Lirr168

I am totally psyched for the PJ, but I'm not getting my hopes up for the completion of the Flatbush Ave. line. I've heard rumors about that being done before and I am yet to see any real results.

by emfinite

Mike is king of all MSTS gamers. I don't know any add-on pack he doesn't have!

by lirrmike

Stop that Joe, you're making me blush! I have no room for my own model railroad so I use TrainSim as it. Maybe I'll get mine when our 'buddy' John gets his real one! :wink:

Mike

Happy Easter all!!

by Lirr168

Hello all,

I have just finished a FM H16-44 I put into the "Dashing Dan" scheme; it is complete with a cabview, authentic sounds (thanks Joe!), and a consist. However, due to some potential legal problems with a cab I borrowed parts from, it may not get up train-sim.com for a while. Anyone interested in getting a copy now can PM me and I'll be glad to pass it along. It's about a 7 mb file.

by Long Island 7285

kyle. IM me i gota halt the sending out of tha H16..

its not your fault, but it hace to be reversed to long hood fwd first, i dont want the snobbs to blast you.

MSTS is very insubordant to work with the slight thing it will spit back at u.

so please give me some time to figure out how to reverse direction of this engine.

thanks

(if you dont mind running backwards "Short hood fwd" then u can have it)

by Richard Glueck

Kyle has done a great job on the H16-44, but it needs a new horn; a LIRR horn, and needs to run hood forward. As President of the Snobs Guild, I demand it! Of course, I couldn't do diddley with it myself. It's really fun to run these great old locomotives once again. I took them for granted when they existed, so I take it as a "virtual second chance". Thanks Kyle and Joe!

by Lirr168

A couple things:

- I for one happen to like the horn. It's not an authentic LIRR horn, but as you guys might already know, there aren't any out there just yet. If anyone is that upset by it, I'll tell you how to change it back to the default GP horn.

- There is no way to make it run long hood forward without creating a new model, which is beyond my abilities (besides the fact that the programs are upwards of $200!). As I said to Dick the other day, only LIRR engineers were anal retentive enough to insist on running long hood forward; everyone else ran short hood forward, which is why all of the models are as such.

- The reason I decided to release it short hood forward, despite the obvious flaw, is that the H16-44 ran short hood forward more commonly than other locomotives. In my researh of the paint scheme, I came across a lot of pictures of these locomotives running short hood forward.

- Here's my tentative solution: give me a few weeks and I'll try to create a cab giving the illusion of running long hood forward. Then, you can put the locomotive in the consist running reversed (this is done by right clicking on it in the consist editor). To run it forward, you'll have to put the reverser backward, but otherwise it should work fine.

-Kyle
  by kro52

Kyle,
Have you tried the Shape File Manager version 23xx? It is avaliable in the MSTS library. You should be able to reverse the loco and create a cabview accordingly.

KRO52

by Long Island 7285

Kro.

Ill take a look in the libary for it.

ill see what i can do. its a shame that MSTS made it soo dam dificult to model your own trains, also Kyle i dont think it will run as you stated above as msts tosses some deffication at the rotary osslator when u start it up.

gota thank MS and KuJu for that one :wink:

by Lirr168

Kro, thanks for the tip; I'll check it out when I get home tonight (I've been away and w/o access to MSTS for 3 days). Also, I'm going to give my idea of reversing the locomotive a try. I was able to do it with an SW1500 by changing the lighting commands in the .eng file. I'd have to assume the same would work here, but if not, the worst that will happen is MSTS crashing, which happens to me all the time. More to come...

by Long Island 7285

Kyle,
this is going to rwquire some work. ive seen .eng files that were converted for Long hood fwd. so there will be some work. msts is very picky bout what u give it.

by Long Island 7285

I can now further back up my pervious post.

you can flip your loco and run your activity with the engine long hood fwd.

NOTE:
if there is a starting speed- train will be going in the "foward direction for that enging, thus you will have to stop it and then start it in reverse"

MSTS may give errors after you get the train running reverse (long hood fwd)

Cabview is alos facing rear of train.

i personally suggust to not play games with the direction, just use it as it is and be gratefull that there is a H16-44 in LIRR paint.
well have to improvise for the time being

i had to improvise and paint my MN bombs into LIRR Pullman paint and into the worlds fair scheme as EMU's
is it 100% accurate no, but does it look cool for the time being yes
if you dont likeit you have 2 choicse
1)dont download it
2) or delete it

im not picking and pointing fingers its an(in general) statement

thank you

by Lirr168

an update on my H16-44:

ok, creating a long hood cabview is no problem; i'll be done within the hour. in addition, MSTS is not rejecting the loco running reverse. there is only one problem: for some reason, although I was able to get both dim and bright headlights to show up on the outside of the loco, they do not actually produce light! It runs fine during the day, but running it at night is nearly impossible. i'll keep trying, but if anyone knows about fixing the lights, please let me know.