• LIC Yardmaster,...What does CN stand for?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by InDesign

I hope you can help clear up a small mystery for me. There is a building near yard A that has a logo of two letters on the top floor called "CN". The same "CN" is also on the wall of the Queens Blvd over pass.

Someone said that the building I am refering to was once a manufacturer of consumer cleaning products. As to the name, I am at a loss. Help?

Paul

by SeldenJrFireman

The only thing I can think of with the letters CN that is railway related is Canadian National Railway.

Could it be a field office for them when they come down from the north?

Mike

by Long Island 7285

CP Rail some down here, i never seen a CN train down here before?

by Dave Keller

I seem to remember my father telling me years back that CN was a disinfectant product similar to what Lysol later became.

The building of which you speak was probably their plant.

Dave Keller

by BMC

CN does stand for Canadian National and it was very similar to Pine Sol or Lestoil. I think it was part of a company called West Pines Chemical Co. which had its headquarters near Yard A, off Queens Blvd. and near the 59th. Street bridge.

by InDesign

Thank you BMC!!! :-D :-D :-D

Yes, That is it. Home of the stinky-track!

Funny though,... I too thought it was Canadian National the railroad company. I guess because it was next to Sunnyside yard.

Again, BMC... thank you, a long ago memory is revived and corrected. You're the best. :wink:

Paul

by CLiner2005

CN sure sparked a memory for the Yard A area. Found a most interesting and detailed site that tells it all.

http://www.astorialic.org/topics/indust ... ume17.shtm

Enjoy

by BMC

Been to that site Pappy, very detailed study of the LIC freight area where we would have one freight job out of Yard A that did nothing but the LIC sidings (Gallo, Ronzoni, etc...)

And don't forget one of the longest tracks in Yard A was affectionatly called "The Big Stink".

Dan Cleary was the last great Freight Boss for the LIRR later went on to be the LIRR Vice President of Operations. The NY and Atlantic has Engine 155 named after him.