• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Steve F45

al, very good news to hear on the former nysw units. I look forward to seeing them all mu'd up and chugging hard with a long string of freight.
  by PVRX1

631 is now in service, testing on the B&H prior to shipment to Olean
  by Trainmanal4243

WNYP #637 is the former NYSW 3668.

Al Gorney
  by pablo

The 631 is expected to be shipped out to the WNYP this week.

Credit for all of these locomotives being placed in service (or about to be, of course) should go to the late Kevin McGarvey, who worked so hard on them, and new ownership making this a priority.

And, no, I don't know when they'll be painted. (Pre-emptive statement)

Dave Becker
  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:The 631 is expected to be shipped out to the WNYP this week.

Credit for all of these locomotives being placed in service (or about to be, of course) should go to the late Kevin McGarvey, who worked so hard on them, and new ownership making this a priority.

And, no, I don't know when they'll be painted. (Pre-emptive statement)

Dave Becker
Let's be fair Dave; While Kevin started the repair process, I would give the Railroads NEW CMO (Brian Allen) just as much credit as i suspect that the pressure is on him to get them on the road as soon as possible.
John
  by pablo

Agreed....but note I said "new ownership." That would certainly apply to Mr. Allen as well, who has likely been given the funds and support necessary to get the big beasts on the road, something lacking in the last few years. Good for him, and good for the railroad.

David Becker
  by Corry Railfan

How is replacing the emd leasers with the alco-c lease units going to make it easier on the railroads budget? One post stated that lease units are very costly to have on the railroad. I'm confused!!

Are these Alco-c units a rent to own deal maybe?

Thanks ahead!! Bill
  by pablo

The units not only cost money that the railroad doesn't need to spend, but they are also terribly inefficient. Getting rid of them and bringing the alcos online will save money.

Dave Becker
  by kf7strng

Is it way to early to ask where the 631 might be used? I live about a mile from the DFT, and have seen lease power on it quite often, as have most of you who(m) have photographed the route. I MIGHT have spotted the 636 out on the dft-21, but I might be mistaken. It would be nice to see all alco power heading up Keating Summit.

And please allow me a moment to salute the people making this happen. Mr.McGarvey, even though you are no longer with us, everytime the alcos you brought to life pass another mile marker is a testament to your dedication to your Job.

Mr.Allen, I as well as the remainder of the railfan community also salute you for taking on the task of continuing the work left behind by Mr.McGarvey. Please do his memory justice, and get as many of the Alcos online, so we can send those EMD's back where they came from!
  by sallenparks

M630 ,WNY&P 631 on the Erie Just East of GangMills yard siting with two NS GP38-3's today Thursday Sept.4th.
  by Smtimko

Things appear to be moving along quite well now with the new management. Kudo's to the new team at Lakeville.

SMT
  by NSFan012

at 9:30pm a nice NS Coal Drag came threw Andover NY heading towards Wellsville NY( heading west) consist of 2 NS Dash 9-40CW's and one ex conrail Dash 9-40cw.
  by NSFan012

NS Coal Drag:
When:11:00Pm
consist:coal
Locomotives: 3 NS Dash 9-40CW's
direction:east towards hornell.
well over 100 cars emptys i believe, and i think there is a problem with the air brakes the last car's hose is making a high pitch squaling noise.
  by Luther Brefo

NSFan012,

Your enthusiasm is appreciated by please keep train sightings to the train sightings thread.

In other news, having been busy with work and all, did the 631 and 637 leave Cohocton yet?