• Kawasakis Tested

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

Lets not beat a dead horse now! The myths about the double deckers keep coming back! There is no restriction on any revenue lines for the K cars!

by Robert Paniagua

Well there is some restriction for KAWs after PVD, their bridges are a bit too low after leaving Providence headed for GCT.

by mb41

Ok sorry people, that was the last thing I heard about the single cars.

Fact: All commuter rail lines ridership in one day does not come anywhere near the 1 day ridership of the red or green lines. I love that stat. :-D City kid here.

by sery2831

There is a restriction for K cars going beyond Providence, that's why I said revenue lines!

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:There is a restriction for K cars going beyond Providence, that's why I said revenue lines!
John & Robert...not to take sides, but yes this is correct that the K's are prohibited west of PVD, which is the normal terminus for MBTA revenue trains. However, this restriction means that only singles will continue to see revenue service to New Haven,CT (Thanksgiving extras :-D ) Although I am not sure if they have done that in the last couple of years.

by ST214

Guy's i'm back!! I've been REALLY busy, but it's slowing down now, and i can get back into my groove, somewhat.

K cars ars, as John said, restricted SOUTH of Providence, I've heard they will not be allowed to TF Green if and when the T goes there.

BTW john, there is one more restriction. There is a speed restriction at Bradford on the K cars, or did they lift it since the bridge is now restricted to 10MPH???

by sery2831

Well since Amtrak left we have been short cars, but even if that wasnt the case... I dont think you will EVER see T equipment on holiday extras! The days of helping Amtrak is over.

Where west of Providence does MBTA equipment normally go?

And yes, the Guilford TT still has a 10MPH restriction for K cars at the Elm St. undergrade bridge.

by paulrail

Are the autorack carriers that will be transporting the new imported cars from the "Port" of Davisville through Providence to Worcester [on the new third track being contructed along side of the NEC] the same height as the K cars, or are they lower?

Wouldn't the clearances on the line accommodate the operation of the Kawasakis IF, indeed, the autoracks (which seem pretty tall to me!) are of equal height or even higher than the bi-levels?

Curious........

Paul

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:Where west of Providence does MBTA equipment normally go?
Nowhere normal anymore, I was just rememberring them going to New Haven on the Sunday after Thanksgiving for a couple years in a row, back in the early 90's was the last time I witnessed it though.

by CSX Conductor

paulrail wrote:Wouldn't the clearances on the line accommodate the operation of the Kawasakis IF, indeed, the autoracks (which seem pretty tall to me!) are of equal height or even higher than the bi-levels?

Curious........

Paul
That makes sense Paul. Actually, the Kawaskis clearance is lower than auto-racks for sure. I say this because auto-racks are prohibitted east of Framingham.....and as we all know the Kawasakis aren't. :wink:

by sery2831

900 was sent to the south side... has anyone seen it in service? It's should be in an old colony train set since it has electric doors...

by CSX Conductor

John, the 900 is standing by itself on the stub track which parralels Dorchester Main #2 and the lead to the Freezer @ South Bay. One of the first cars, I believe 902, was parked there for a week or two back in the winter when they were here for the first tests. That track is never used, but I believe they can put it on grond power, no idea what they are doing with it, but it is not on the OC yet.

by 130MM

ST214 wrote: BTW john, there is one more restriction. There is a speed restriction at Bradford on the K cars, or did they lift it since the bridge is now restricted to 10MPH???
The restriction at Bradford is for the side clearance on Elm St., which is an undergrade bridge. The 10 MPH restriction is for the Merrimac R. bridge. They are about 200 ft. apart.

by Diverging Route

Car #900 was sitting all by its lonesome at the end of South Station track #9 this morning about 10am. It looked like an event of some type was about to take place.

by CSX Conductor

"The Readville Switcher" took it from the old "sand track" at South Bay & spotted it in the terminal en-route to BET Wednesday night. :wink: