Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Fan Railer

OportRailfan wrote:ha...if you're pretty inconspicuous you can typically get away with it...just be aware of what the Conductor is looking at/doing at that moment...I was able to film all of that catenary video in the front car through the front window
yeah, i was even able to openly change batteries in the first car without getting caught. twas filming the PATH railfan series of the entire WTC Line. lol guess i was lucky
  by Kaback9

You guys are lucky every time I try something in the first car I get told to stop. I go to the last car no one bothers me.
  by OportRailfan

Most of the conductors on there when I'm on have never given me problems...they're typically pretty cool
  by OportRailfan

anyone seen the PA-5's lately...i havent seen them the last couple of weeks where they typically sit next to the building in the yard
  by Kaback9

OportRailfan wrote:anyone seen the PA-5's lately...i havent seen them the last couple of weeks where they typically sit next to the building in the yard
My guess is they are in the shop and come out at night.
  by BuddSilverliner269

OportRailfan wrote:anyone seen the PA-5's lately...i havent seen them the last couple of weeks where they typically sit next to the building in the yard
Hi Opport, last Saturday I was bringing out Amtrak 663 to Philly when I saw the PA5s being tested. This was about 9;15am as I leave NYC at 9:09am. I will keep an eye out to see if I see them at the same time in the AM saturday
  by Tommy Meehan

Fan Railer wrote:it seems like the balance of the order is split evenly between A and B cars (A cars being the 56xx-57xx and the b cars being the 51xx-52xx)
OportRailfan wrote:aren't they married units tho, a propelled one and a trailer
I have a question. Are the PA5 B cars the same as the current fleet, meaning they're blind motor trailers? Motors but no cabs?? Or will the PA5Bs be non-motor, blind trailers? No cab. no motors, just wheels, seats and windows? Or will they have cabs but no motors? (Control trailers.)

[edited for clarity]
  by Silverliner II

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:it seems like the balance of the order is split evenly between A and B cars (A cars being the 56xx-57xx and the b cars being the 51xx-52xx)
OportRailfan wrote:aren't they married units tho, a propelled one and a trailer
I have a question. Are the PA5 B cars the same as the current fleet, meaning they're blind motor trailers? Motors but no cabs?? Or will the PA5Bs be non-motor, blind trailers? No cab. no motors, just wheels, seats and windows? Or will they have cabs but no motors? (Control trailers.)

[edited for clarity]
I believe they are blind motor trailers....no cabs.

Each car is fully independent...no married pairs. Cars can be mated A-A, or A-B-A, or A-B-B-A to form trainsets as needed...
  by Tommy Meehan

No married pairs? Makes sense from Path's standpoint. One car goes down and two cars have to go out of service. Thanks Silverliner II.

Do the A cars have cabs at both ends?

I have to go back to their site and reread their press releases anyway. :( Now I'm wondering if they will need a power system upgrade before they put the new cars out there.
  by OportRailfan

There are plans currently to overhaul a bunch of the substations....the one by cape, I think its Substation 8...is on the list
  by Silverliner II

Tommy Meehan wrote:No married pairs? Makes sense from Path's standpoint. One car goes down and two cars have to go out of service. Thanks Silverliner II.

Do the A cars have cabs at both ends?
You're welcome. And no, the A cars only have cabs at one end.
  by OportRailfan

Kaback9 wrote:
My guess is they are in the shop and come out at night.
I think you're right...I've been on PATH past 11PM a few times recently, and they have been sitting outside when we go past...probably plenty of late night testing going on I would imagine.
  by Kaback9

Well at least they are running them. I wish they had put a set in revenue service to see how people like them.
  by Fan Railer

supposedly, the schedule is that the first train will be in service by the end of november/beginning of december. that's pretty soon and i hope it's true, i want to be the first to catch a video of it in service...
  by Tommy Meehan

PA NY/NJ wrote:Kawasaki Rail Car Inc. is designing the cars under a $499 million contract to build a new fleet. The new cars will feature:

Three-door sets on each side to allow for faster entrances and exits

On-board video

Closed-circuit television recording capability

Improved lighting, air conditioning and heating

Prerecorded station announcements

Better signs

Capability for passengers to communicate with the crew
The above are comments from the PA-PATH website.

How about power and brakes? Any upgrades anyone's aware of?

The PA5s will have AC motors, do any of the other PA classes have AC motors?