Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#575051  by Fan Railer

Here's a pic i found on another forum of PATH testing PA-5's between Harrison and Journal Square:
 #575145  by OportRailfan

looks like they're running all 8 together there
 #575361  by Fan Railer

funny, i only count 7 cars. the pic isn't the best though, so it is disputable
 #575392  by Raritan Express

I would think they'd be running a 7-car set. 7 is the longest Harrison can handle IIRC.
 #575393  by jtrain22

Fan railer i took that PA5 pic!! Its not that easy taking pics out of an dirty RFW on a train thats going 40+ MPH.
 #575451  by PONYA

Raritan Express wrote:I would think they'd be running a 7-car set. 7 is the longest Harrison can handle IIRC.

Harrison Station is an 8 car platform. PATH ran 8 car consists Newark to WTC prior to Sept. 11th.
 #575453  by OportRailfan

it's debatable how many there are...

aren't they married units tho, a propelled one and a trailer, but still I guess u could have an odd number by getting rid of a trailer
 #581800  by Kaback9

I saw these cars sitting out in the Harrison Yard do they actually run, they look better than the stuff thats running now.
 #581807  by OportRailfan

yeah, 5602 and 5603 were sitting out there...I was coming back from Hoboken on the PATH to Newark
 #585650  by Fan Railer

it seems like the balance of the order is split evenly between A and B cars (A cars being the 56xx-57xx and the b cars being the 51xx-52xx)
Assuming this is true then the car numbers should be something like 5601-5770, 5101-5270
 #585651  by OportRailfan

That's the way I was thinking it was gunna come out
 #586703  by blasito

Last night at around 11:30 while I was waiting for the Hoboken train at Christopher St I saw them run a test train uptown to 33rd St. The PA made an announcement that the incoming train was out of service and would not stop to pick up passengers. It did stop briefly and I could see the interior was filled with testing equipment and a crew of about 8 - 12. Most of the seats still had plastic wrap on them. They look real nice, can't wait for them to go into service. When my train did finally come, it sure looked old and dated.
 #589202  by OportRailfan

Another test train today. I was on the WTC to NWK going to Newark and we stopped coming out of Journal square at the signal in the vicinity of the track speed 55 change over...the one with the 3 circle clusters...I missed the number. probably an LB.

Anyway, they routed us onto the WTC bound track to go to NWK right up until the waterfront connection where they switched us back to the regular track.

Its pretty visible they're running a 7 car train.

There's no railfan window in this...
 #589232  by Silverbird

Great photos guys! the pa-5 is looking sweet!! :D
 #589502  by Marv95

I swear if these cars have fewer seats than the current ones, then the Port Authority doesn't deserve to exist.