• Iowa Pacific Pullman Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

After taking a ride this weekend on the Saratoga and North Creek's Ski Train I got into a discussion with one of the managers who told me about plans Iowa Pacific Holdings (the parent company that runs a number of excursion services in North America and the UK) has for bringing back "high quality" rail travel experiences to the domestic market. Now I am not about to bemoan the current state of Amtrak sleeping and dining services, but the person I was talking with felt that they could do a lot better and were currently in negotiations with Amtrak to attach private cars on the back of the Lake Shore Limited and City of New Orleans on a regular basis. Now this might remind many of you of the short lived Grand Lux service that Amtrak tried a couple years ago, but the response to that was that this service would not try for corporate jet levels of luxury, simply what the Pullman corporation offered back before A-Day (the name for this new service would have Pullman in it as well). Moreover this service would be price competitive with current Amtrak rates.

It gets more interesting because she said that that wasn't their preferred end state attaching cars to the back of Amtrak trains, but they would actually want to run their own trains, American Orient Express style only without the mismanagement. The whole idea was predicated on the fact that Amtrak "doesn't want" to run sleeper and dining cars and Iowa Pacific could be in a place to take over those services, again in the Pullman model, if Amtrak chose or was forced to abandon them. Now this might sound like some pipe dream, but Iowa Pacific has been very successful in managing its properties and their passenger operations. They have a national reservations call center and after opening this summer the S&NC has just been minting money with a variety of seasonal train services including scheduled connections with Amtrak at Saratoga Springs so these people have some definite follow-through and can back up their words with deeds.

Now I personally welcome the addition of additional sleeper service to trains like the Lake Shore, especially as the Amtrak sleepers continue to run at capacity and that rear mounted baggage car blocks the standard railfan window. Can it offer competitive pricing with Amtrak? Even without using AGR points Amtrak sleepers are often a steal with the food included and one room holding two people. The S&NC ski train however also had very affordable prices, a 120 mile round trip costing on the order of 20-30 bucks for the first class dome car (two adult beverages included) and the food was perhaps a half notch above Amtrak dining car fare in quality and costing a few bucks less.

I honestly don't see Amtrak trying to ditch its first class and dining services because they really bring a lot to the travel experience and the free LD sleeper trips are a plum reward for the AGR folks. Could Amtrak eventually contract out its dining car operations to someone like Iowa Pacific? Maybe, but could Iowa Pacific's model hold up under the weight of a train full of hungry passengers, 3 meals a day. Also using part time, non-union service staff based in low cost of living rural areas might not translate well to crew bases in major cities. Anyway, it was a fascinating conversation that I felt obligated to report here for comment.
  by Greg Moore

For years, I've said the House of the Mouse should try something similar with the Silver Service trains. Contract with Amtrak to haul an additional 2-3 sleepers, lounge car and diner and start the "Disney Experience" in either NYP or WAS.

I don't know if Iowa Pacific can pull this off, but kudos to them if they're willing to try. I suspect they'll be more successful in simply adding to existing trains than trying to run new trains.
  by Tadman

The trial for this service is listed on the RGS website. https://www.riograndescenicrailroad.com ... llman.html

Train on 2/17-2/19 will be operating from CUS on 3-hr RT dining trains. I'm curious what the route is, although they mention the "King's Dinner" which was the hallmark offering of IC's Panama Limited. My first guess, then, is up/over the SCAL to CNIC thence to Homewood and back. That's not very scenic, though. And really, there's nothing other than that even hinting at routes - it could be out of CUS-North for that matter. I hope to nail down CUS-North or CUS-South so I can grab a few pics.
  by palmland

I think this is a concept that deserves to be tried again. I'm not sure what IP can do that has not been tried by others, but the concept of good solid Pullman service instead of a deluxe over the top service makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised Amtrak would agree to this, but then maybe they're desperate. I'm sure Boardman would love to go to his board to show the great cost savings this would provide. The key to their success will be consistent superior customer service in well maintained equipment. Let's hope they can deal with the labor/union issue. If it is successful on even a limited basis, won't it be nice to have it managed like a real business without political interference.
  by Greg Moore

palmland wrote:I think this is a concept that deserves to be tried again. I'm not sure what IP can do that has not been tried by others, but the concept of good solid Pullman service instead of a deluxe over the top service makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised Amtrak would agree to this, but then maybe they're desperate. I'm sure Boardman would love to go to his board to show the great cost savings this would provide. The key to their success will be consistent superior customer service in well maintained equipment. Let's hope they can deal with the labor/union issue. If it is successful on even a limited basis, won't it be nice to have it managed like a real business without political interference.
Not sure Amtrak could say no, not as long as they allow the hauling of PVs behind existing trains. They can certainly restrict types of PVs, but worst case, I can see that these IP cars run as "charters".
  by Tadman

Per member jhdeasy, private railcar handling is a tidy profit for Amtrak. Considering that the cost of a ticket on a PV is probably way higher than even Amtrak sleeper, I see little cannibalization of Amtrak's current business and a small but useful profit from PV haulage. Further, if this is IP's way of increasing utilization rate on their fleet, it's win-win for everybody.
  by CHTT1

It sounds like an interesting experiment, it would just be like adding private cars, but on a regular basis. Might be pretty hard to market, trying to get people to see the difference between this service and regular Amtrak sleeping cars. Of course, some of the Iowa Pacific execs are the same guys who thought adding freight cars to Amtrak trains would be a profitable operation.
  by Jersey_Mike

I never have felt Amtrak's dining and sleeping services to be all that inefficient. There's a huge difference between running a part time dining operation on a tourist line and running a daily scheduled service that needs to have a high degree of availability. I doubt that Amtrak would allow its diner and sleeping car contractor to offer an unreliable service and as soon as you need employees whose attendance isn't optional you're going to have to pay them something comparable to what the crews get now. If these private cars can pick up some of the demand that Amtrak clearly isn't able to serve right now then I say more power to them and hopefully Amtrak won't feel threatened and will pocket the tow revenue.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Last evening, I was able to observe the Iowa Pacific equipment parked in full view at Lumber Street.

Inbound on BNSF 1272 (a Dinner meet-up with Mr. Dunville), the consist appeared to be (from South to North) a KCS liveried Obs, Big Dome (Rio Grande Scenic livery), Diner (no further details), Big Dome (RGS), and IC liveried "butt end' Obs (if in fact an ex-IC car, such was used on the Panama "back in my day' at the Big U). Outbound on 1289, I was not able to perfect the observation.

Of course, the "mystery" of the unannounced route leads me to wonder if the equipment will simply be parked at CUS for "the event". After all, the premier Dinner Cruise vessel around here, the Odyssey, will all too often (Captain's discretion) simply not sail leaving the passengers with a "dockside cruise'. Money back? "sorry 'bout that".

Oh well, I'll be out of town that weekend of Feb 17-19, so I'll have to pass on being "tempted".
  by lstone19

The website for this Chicago Pullman dinner train later this month seems a but amateurish. It doesn't even say Chicago anywhere other than on the Union Station map they link to. The departure point is referred to just as "Union Station" although mentioning meeting in the Great Hall does imply Chicago. Someone there really needs to look at their website as if they know nothing about what is planned.
That they don't mention where the train will go has me thinking they don't have that locked down yet.
  by ngotwalt

Well looking at timetables, everything looks pretty right for a run down to Champaign, IL and return. Amtrak's running time is two hours ten minutes between Chicago and Champaign, ten minutes to turn the train and you get 4:30 minutes which is what the website schedule indicates.
Cheers,
Nick
  by lstone19

ngotwalt wrote:Well looking at timetables, everything looks pretty right for a run down to Champaign, IL and return. Amtrak's running time is two hours ten minutes between Chicago and Champaign, ten minutes to turn the train and you get 4:30 minutes which is what the website schedule indicates.
Cheers,
Nick
The timetable I'm seeing shows the trip at 3:00 for the dinner trains (check-in at 5:00 but does not depart until 6:30) and 3:30 for the Sunday brunch (check-in 11:00 but does not depart until 12:00).
  by CHTT1

Trains New Wire reported that the dinner/brunch trains will run from Chicago to Sturtevant and return.
  by Ridgefielder

Could Iowa Pacific run sleepers on trains that don't currently carry them? I'm thinking in particular of 66 and 67- the overnight Boston-Washington trains.