• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

The Sperry car was in the siding at the East Braintree wye this morning.
  by Komarovsky

drvmusic wrote:I was near the tracks in Weston today at work and heard the familiar rumble that told me a CR train was coming. To my surprise, GP9 904 comes rumbling by with a consist of small hopper cars. That made my day as I LOVE Geeps and have never seen that one in motion. It was on the Worcester line.

Anyone know if it's heading back in the other direction later so I can see it go by again?
Wouldn't be surprised if it makes another couple of trips in the next week or two, they're dumping ballast on the stretch of track where they're doing tie replacement between Southboro and Grafton.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

four car set floating around South side: 1119-827-833-824-1719 haven't seen a small train like this in quite some time...and also of note, all Old Colony based sets are maxed at 5 cars currently, with various set ups

also, for those interested in the Soccer match xtra set tonight...a train is operating as a double draft to Gillette stadium for Portugal vs. Mexico 6/6, set is 1055-5-1718-1533-5-1026...Train departed South Station at 6:35pm for Gillette via the Franklin Branch..No PVD section operated for this game
  by chrisf

Been a while since this thread was updated.
Tonight, the set with coach 1520 is running with the 1520 on the outbound end, and 1060 as the power, on the inbound side.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

chrisf wrote:Been a while since this thread was updated.
Tonight, the set with coach 1520 is running with the 1520 on the outbound end, and 1060 as the power, on the inbound side.
Amtrak was having issues in the TOWER 1 interlocking, they had replaced a puzzle slip switch over the weekend, and was acting up all morning, the Terminal was essentially cut in half. This required at least 4 sets to go out thru the WYE connector, then back into South Station, having locomotive on the Boston end, and control car facing WEST/SOUTH. I had one going to Needham, and so did the Wickford 1:45p train...The 2002 was facing Boston last night on 583/584. 1030, 1025,2002,1060 are the few sets off the top of my head that got reversed 6/30. Also of note, Amtrak was still working on the puzzle switch this morning, 7/1, and Readville DH moves were going down the Corridor to TRANSFER, (508E~~9:10a) then making a reverse move onto the Dorchester Branch to access Readville yard
  by ACeInTheHole

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
chrisf wrote:Been a while since this thread was updated.
Amtrak was having issues in the TOWER 1 interlocking, they had replaced a puzzle slip switch over the weekend, and was acting up all morning, the Terminal was essentially cut in half. This required at least 4 sets to go out thru the WYE connector, then back into South Station, having locomotive on the Boston end, and control car facing WEST/SOUTH. I had one going to Needham, and so did the Wickford 1:45p train...The 2002 was facing Boston last night on 583/584. 1030, 1025,2002,1060 are the few sets off the top of my head that got reversed 6/30. Also of note, Amtrak was still working on the puzzle switch this morning, 7/1, and Readville DH moves were going down the Corridor to TRANSFER, (508E~~9:10a) then making a reverse move onto the Dorchester Branch to access Readville yard
In a way thats good for the 2002 to come in backward.. More people will get to see the new toy
  by MetroBostonRailways

ck4049 wrote:The 2001 was also on a reversed set.
So is one of the two MP36s,i believe 010. I saw it with a reversed consist today but didn't pull out my camera in time to film it
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

BandA wrote:Did they pull the engine up to the terminal, or did they make folks walk further?
The sets were being pulled into the Terminal, don't want to have the diesels under the bus terminal
  by ns3010

Geometry testing began for the South Side this morning. Test extra with the AMTK 10002 (Corridor Clipper). Is doing the Old Colony Lines today.

9/27- OD 630AM
Out to Greenbush and back, followed by Kingston/Plymouth, then out to Middleboro and back.

9/28- OD 6:30AM
Out to Forge Park/495 via the Dorchester Branch and back to South Station, trip to Needham and run back to Forest Hills, then run out to Stoughton and return to SHSY via the Dorchester Branch.

9/29- OD7AM
Run out the Worcester Line to CP45 and then head to BET via the Grand Junction.

North Side testing will then take place on 9/30 and 10/1, then the car will be returned to Amtrak.

DISCLAIMER: Info is via a reliable source on another board, but is subject to change at any time.
  by ns3010

8th Notch wrote:Surprised none of you have noticed the consist for the south side wash train!
...you mean how there may or may not be a screamer running on the South Side? :-)