• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Backshophoss

That's the "reporting mark" for T owned equipment,put on the passenger cars when shipped offline to contract shops in
other states.
  by sery2831

631 was a car that recently went to the Delaware Car Company for some maintenance.
  by RenegadeMonster

Saw the new Mass DOT hoppers on the Eastern This morning.

Such a same that several of these shiny blue new cars are more than 3/4ths covered in graffiti already on their sides.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

RenegadeMonster wrote:Saw the new Mass DOT hoppers on the Eastern This morning.

Such a same that several of these shiny blue new cars are more than 3/4ths covered in graffiti already on their sides.
I made sure to take my roster shots before they got tagged on the Grand Jct runaround....knew it was only gonna be a matter of time before artwork was added
  by RenegadeMonster

The Passenger count train is still running on the north side. Was on it again this morning.

Any word on how long it will continue to operate on the north side?
  by BostonUrbEx

That was a very recent decision because of public outrage. Shuttles were never planned beyond Beverly garage.
  by jaymac

The 06-28-2017 402 was east of Wachusett at 0545 with 4 flats, a bi, and another flat plus the 1128. Dunno if this was just luck of the draw at the facility or if more cars are now available.
  by RenegadeMonster

Bike Car 219 as the quiet car tonight on train 173.

If there is a bike car, is the quiet car location a odd placement for it or is that where they normal put them in the consist, right behind the engine?
  by deathtopumpkins

The bike car is always right behind the engine on the weekend trains. I assume this is because it's much easier to roll a bike onto the mini-high platform than try and carry it down the stairs off the train.
  by RenegadeMonster

Looks like they took a car off the Passenger Count Train. It was down to 4 cars today.

Wonder if they took it off because few trains actually need all 5 bi-level. Or if they were having problems with it.
  by BigUglyCat

RenegadeMonster wrote:Looks like they took a car off the Passenger Count Train. It was down to 4 cars today.

Wonder if they took it off because few trains actually need all 5 bi-level. Or if they were having problems with it.
Or if they needed the car elsewhere. Isn't there still a shortage of passenger cars?
  by RenegadeMonster

Train 173 tonight was made up of 5 flats. All 16xx or 6xx series. No double deckers, no MBBs, no bathroom.

I thought they were required to have at least 1 bathroom on all trains?
  by BostonUrbEx

The law only requires a bathroom for trips longer than 50 miles, which on the North Side means only for Wachusett. That said, in practice, unless there's a coach crunch (pretty sure we're better off right now than we were this past winter and spring) every train has a bathroom anyway. So there must have been an unexpected last minute cut from the set, would be my guess.