Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

and not next year either probably, the new inspection train is only in planning stage, and no work has started on the cars yet.
  by FL9AC

Inspection train this morning went from GCT to Stamford where the loco's were run around the equipment and the train headed back to GCT. Power was 202 (east) and the 208 (west) and the three inspection cars. Train will be out tomorrow heading from GCT to New Haven and then up to Waterbury.
  by emtpjimd

Any idea what time the train runs? I want to try and catch it through Stratford and somewhere along the WBY line.....
  by FL9AC

a little late but, the inspection train roared eastward passed Stamford yard around 9:15 a.m and reached Waterbury at about five minutes to noon on Thursday. Equipment was the same as the day before.
  by northjerseybuff

Anyone happen to know when this years trip will be? I recall last year it was in early Sept? on a Friday. I would love to catch it again this year. Thanks in advance
  by Erie-Lackawanna

Friday, September 11. Schedule yet to be finalized.

Jim
  by Train2009

This Afternoon while I was on a White Plains School Bus up in North White Plains heading home from
Southern Westchester BOCES I saw Metro North's Inspection cars at the Metro North train yard.
  by Train2009

I saw this cars this afternoon at North White Plains yard.
  by FL9AC

The inspection cars are normally stored there...
Not uncommon, as again, these cars are NORMALLY stored in North White Plains yard when not in use.
  by Train2009

When I saw it this afternoon it was right near the Virginia Road RR Crossing and the last time it was right outside the
paint shop.
  by RearOfSignal

Train2009 wrote:When I saw it this afternoon it was right near the Virginia Road RR Crossing and the last time it was right outside the
paint shop.
If it was on the paint track you would not be able to see it unless you were standing inside the yard. If you saw it from Virginia Rd it was probably on track 10. Either way that's where it's normally kept anyway as said before.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

RearOfSignal wrote:
Train2009 wrote:When I saw it this afternoon it was right near the Virginia Road RR Crossing and the last time it was right outside the
paint shop.
If it was on the paint track you would not be able to see it unless you were standing inside the yard. If you saw it from Virginia Rd it was probably on track 10. Either way that's where it's normally kept anyway as said before.
Actually, the last time I was ever up NWP way, I saw them stored at the north end of Track 11, laid up with the M-1As that seem to spend some time on that end of the yard. Track 10 is commonly occupied with the Waterworld rail scrubbing/washing train, and a few times some M-1As or some M-3As, and occasionally MOW equipment. If they are still at the north end of Track 11, they can easily be seen from Virginia Road, and from any train passing on the Main Line, either Track 2 or Track 1.
  by RearOfSignal

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote: Actually, the last time I was ever up NWP way, I saw them stored at the north end of Track 11...
When was that? Like 100 years ago. We all know you're a red line guy at heart. :wink: Yeah, the north end of tk 11 is where they keep dilapidated M1a's and other misc junk. From the time I've spent in NWP recently whenever the inspection cars are actually there it's usually on the A yard side.