Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by amm in ny

I ride the Hudson Line, and I'm getting the distinct impression that the Aug. 19 schedule changes were pretty last-minute.

For one thing, they still don't have any printed schedules out yet (I checked this morning at GCT), and they're usually pretty good about that. The NH and Harlem line schedules were already available by Aug 15. (They have a PDF, but I can't seem to print it with type larger than "microscopic." Maybe if someone happens to have a time machine, could their future self send me a proper printed copy today :) ?)

For another, when I asked at the GCT information booth the week of Aug 12-16, they said they didn't know of any, and the printed notice they gave me mentioned only the NH and Harlem Line.

Does anyone know the back story?

Is this perhaps related to the sudden slew of speed restrictions (see "Metro North Issues Speed Restrictions"), and/or the recent derailments?
  by truck6018

If I remember correctly there were two different printed notices left on the trains for passengers. One for the Harlem and New Haven and a separate one for the Hudson.

Any reasoning for the sudden changes that I could offer would be speculative. I don't think what others have posted is too far off.

At the least, the printed New Haven Line schedule that was available at GCT was incorrect. Not sure about the Harlem schedules.
  by lirr42

I believe the Harlem and New Haven Line schedules were changed pretty radically to accommodate the Bronx Right-of-Way improvement project that is ongoing now. They tried doing the work and maintaining the normal schedules but it didn't go all that well so they had to make the August 19th pretty quickly to make things flow smoother and more reliably.

My guess is that the Hudson Line timetables were also shuffled up a little bit to make everything flow correctly into and out of GCT.
  by Train2009

I picked up the Hudson line timetable late yesterday morning at the Fordham Road Station.
  by mvb119

I would take a guess that it has more to do with the speed restrictions Metro North recently issued than it does with the construction in the Bronx. Riding on the line everyday does take slightly longer from points north to the Bronx.