• How Many Engines For The MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by b&m 1566

How many engines currently does the MBTA have for its commuter rail? Are there more engines on the south side or the north side?

by AznSumtinSumtin

The MBTA has 79 active locomotives for the commuter rail. 33 are on the South side. 23 are on the North side. 3 are work engines. Next question!

by octr202

http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html

Every piece of revenue equipment on the T.

by railfan101

I was on the 8:30 Providence local this morning when as we were leaving South Station, The F40 pulling us out apparently seized. We all got off the train and moved to another. I have never seen so much smoke come out of an F40.

by b&m 1566

Well they now have 78 active locomotives...:wink: Do the locomotives constantly switch sides or do the locomotives stay at designated side.

by Robert Paniagua

They can switch from Northside to Southside and vice-versa at anytime.

by octr202

b&m 1566 wrote:Well they now have 78 active locomotives...:wink: Do the locomotives constantly switch sides or do the locomotives stay at designated side.
They usually shift back and forth as necessary to visit the shop at BET. If you're ever around the east end of Cambridge, sometimes you can see the Readville switcher moving equipment (locomotives and coaches) back and forth.

The screamers (F40PHs) and GP40MCs seem to be concentrated on the northside, with the Dash-2s more prevelant on the southside.

No idea if that's just chance, or if they want to keep the screamers and the Geeps close to the shop. ;)

by CSX Conductor

octr202 wrote:If you're ever around the east end of Cambridge, sometimes you can see the Readville switcher moving equipment (locomotives and coaches) back and forth.
Usually they start over the Grand Jct. Running Track en-route to the B.E.T. around 900pm give or take, depending on how much switching at Southampton Street. :wink:
octr202 wrote: The screamers (F40PHs) and GP40MCs seem to be concentrated on the northside, with the Dash-2s more prevelant on the southside.

No idea if that's just chance, or if they want to keep the screamers and the Geeps close to the shop. ;)
Most of the GP40MC's do not have A.C.S.E.S. equipment which would limit their use on the South Side to only Old Colony, Framingham and Readville Shuttle service. Also, I think they keep the screamers over the North Side because they don't pull as well as the others and the trains are shorter on the North Side and also lighter in many cases because there are no bi-levels. :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

only 4 GP40MC's are ACSES equipped, i will get the numbers

today at south station, there was a train that arrived that had a engine on both ends, 1136 on the east end and a F40PH on the west end

by railfan101

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:only 4 GP40MC's are ACSES equipped, i will get the numbers

today at south station, there was a train that arrived that had a engine on both ends, 1136 on the east end and a F40PH on the west end

Out of curiosity, what does ACSES stand for and used for.

I too saw the GP40 on the front of an inbound train at South Station. I remember years ago when the RDC Budds were in service that it was common to see an F10 or F40PH on the inbound side of the train.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ACSES stands for Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System

This system will enforce stops at interlockings and control points, as well as all FRA speed limits on the line, all the F40PH's have it and as mentioned only 4 GP40MC's have it

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:all the F40PH's have it and as mentioned only 4 GP40MC's have it
I believe the 902 has it as well.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea i forgot about that one, lol

does the new work engine that they got have ACSES?

by CSX Conductor

Not sure about the 3247, as I haven't heard of it being on the South Side at all yet. It was tied onto a small work train behind BET late last night. The 902 was also at BET.
  by GP40MC1118

As far as I know, the 3247 does not have ACSES.

The 902 is in for repairs, white the 904 is out back in the dead zone
with a bunch of units.

d