Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by tushykushy

So how about this snow? I didn't think any of it when hail started to fall around 12PM today. My ride to NCC for a 2:30 class was a bit interesting (found it it gets canceled!)... but the ride back to Farmingdale took me 5 hours to get home. It was ridiculous how bad it was out there.

I over heard on the radio that a crew on the Hemptstead Branch were crying for an alcohol train... train 2734 (eng 511-518) catches fire due to some ice getting caught in the jumpers

I hope anyone working during this weather is safe. It's much worse than the last big one we had.

by GP38

Yeah, this is some freak storm that came out of no where! The roads are absolutely horrible, and there were white-out conditions for a while this afternoon, I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me!

To keep this on topic, I wonder how the LIRR is holding up with all this ice. I live less than a quarter mile from the LIRR Montauk Branch in Central Suffolk, and I haven't heard one train go by over the last few hours....although that doesn't mean anything sometimes they sould so loud that it's like they are 50 feet away, other times I can't hear the trains at all - it all depends on the direction the wind is blowing - and it's really blowing out there right now!

by Paul

Once again, not to rub it in but...
Forcast for Redlands, California:
Tuesday night: Mostly clear this evening then becoming cloudy after midnight. Low 51F. Winds light and variable.
Wednesday: Areas of dense morning fog. Mainly sunny. High 81F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday night: Areas of dense morning fog. Clear evening skies will give way to mostly cloudy skies overnight. Low 53F. Winds light and variable.
Thursday: A mainly sunny sky. High 79F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Enjoy you weather.
  by Head-end View

Right Paul, but some of us remember your description of the 85 degree nights there in the summer. :wink:

by klesko25

Well tonight I was on a train that was schedule to hit Jamaica around 7:05 but they announced that the switches were frozen and that they were having signal problems. We sat outside Jamiaca for a good 40 minutes. I guess it could have been much worse considering the drastic weather changes within a few hours.

by Fla East Coast Chris

Well Patchogue had 40-63 minute delays.. The important thing
too cold for a Moo moo or Muu muu.
Chris

by emfinite

I'm sure Mrs. Traffic Cone was worrying about her muu muu today! The weather was not kind to any of us!

by SeldenJrFireman

Bus ride home from school was fun. If you are familiar with Blue Point road and Adirondack Drive in Selden, you know what I mean.

by 9C1LT1

The roads were very bad. My bus was slideing all over the place... Can't pump air brakes to long, run out of air! Found out Airhorns don't work when they get snow in them. I need front covers or grills like LIRR has on their horns to prevent snow from getting in them. Saw the Oyster Bay train yesterday at Roslyn, looked like the DE-30 had no trouble plowing through the snow!

-Barry

by Dave Keller

Ah . . . . . Memories!

Blue Point Road

Adirondack Drive

and Berkshire Drive (smaller, but also fun!)

The "hills" were referred to as the "7 sisters" when I was a kid.

Also, there were NO stop signs along BP Road back then. You picked up speed heading south, took that small dip after the first rise, got a glimpse of the Great South Bay and whoooooppppps down you went headed for Farmingville!

. . . .And you hoped your car's wheels stayed on the road.

For years there was an old 1940s-era sedan on its roof laying in the gully on the east side of the street where there are houses now.

Guess his wheels didn't stay on the road!

Dave Keller

P.S. I made sure I kept off those road in the ice!!!! (but it was one helluva ride on my bicycle coming down when I was 14!) DK

by Lupo 10

7 sisters. I remember it well. It was still called that in my High School days of the late 1980's early 1990's.

P.S. 8:15 from Penn to KO arrived at 10:35pm. Sat between Bethpage and Wyandanch for 30 minutes waiting for a westbound to clear...UGGGGHHH.

What annoyed me most however was the guy behind me who kept saying things out loud for the whole car to hear. Things like "idiots! C'mon! Unbelieveable! Incompetent!" What an idiot. I came close to asking him to shut it but figured the last thing we needed in that car was a confrontation.

by krispy

It's still the 7 sister's, but it's also a favorite of SCPD, as is Deer Park Ave. I believe they go to the Ocean Parkway, but with the crackdown after some recent drag racing fatalities, they head into the city.

What hurt them was the wind, the wind kept gusting up to 50 mph, and it was mostly out of the west, exaggerating the 'canyon effect' that you can get in Jay and Hall. The gusts were snuffing all of the pots and melters, and there were both track and signal hauling ass all over Jamaica, Divide and Harold. They busted their humps sweeping out the switches, pouring and burning hydro on them, and moving on to the next one. What's amazing is they didn't get any broken rails or pull aparts, with the wild temp swing, and the rain turning to ice. Sorry for anyone delayed, but it wasn't from lack of trying...

by Lupo 10

krispy, its always unfortunate to be delayed but I know everyone was doing all they could. That crew last night was very prompt with their information to us and did a great job.

by NIMBYkiller

Hey Barry, I take it you're back in the Pusher? Want run did they put you on yesterday? Sounds like your signature wasn't comming through in the snow, lol

I stayed in the cafateria until my bus showed. No way I was waiting out there.

I think the LIRR sometimes has problems every now and then. I did hear them blowin the horn at PW like crazy while walking out to my bus.

by emfinite

I think I'm the only one of my friend's who haven't been ticketed on Deer Park Avenue... 231 is still infamous for street racing.