• Here It comes - Timetable changes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by condr

New LIRR Timetables in Effect September 13
Includes Second Phase of Budget-Related Service Reductions; Fall Trackwork & Construction Programs
The following terminals/branches are impacted: Atlantic Terminal, Long Beach, Montauk, Port Washington, Ronkonkoma, Greenport, West Hempstead
New LIRR timetables in effect September 13, 2010 will contain schedule adjustments for some trains as well as the elimination of other trains. The new schedules implement the second phase of budget-related cuts in LIRR service that were approved by the MTA Board in March. These service reductions along with those implemented last May 17 were required as part of the effort to close the MTA’s $900-million budget gap. The service reductions will save approximately $950,000 this year and $3.8-million annually starting in 2011. However, the LIRR will be monitoring the changes in the new timetable and will make schedule adjustments, as necessary, based on additional ridership and possible crowding on trains.

Additional timetable changes are necessary to accommodate the fall track work and construction program.

Service Reductions (budget-related)
Atlantic Terminal
Overnight service is eliminated between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica.
On weeknights, train service to/from Brooklyn will be available to/from Brooklyn until midnight and resume around 5:00 AM; and on weekends service will be available until midnight and resume around 5:49 AM.

Long Beach Branch
The 6:09 AM train to Atlantic Terminal has been cancelled. Service is available at 5:35 AM or 6:37 AM.

Montauk Branch
The 4:30 PM trains from Hunterspoint Avenue to Montauk will only operate on Fridays from May through October. An Amagansett stop has been added to the 4:06 PM train from Hunterspoint Avenue in order to close a gap in service.

Port Washington Branch
Midday weekday service and all weekend service is reduced from every half-hour to every hour. On weekdays there are 14 trains removed from the schedule with stops added to the remaining trains where needed, to provide service to all stations each hour. On weekends 32 trains are removed from the schedule.

After carefully examining the expected impact on customer demand and usage associated with the implementation of the hourly service during the midday weekday hours, the LIRR has decided to restore the 4:43 PM peak hour train from Penn Station to Port Washington so that the departures from Penn Station in the 4:15 PM to 5:15 PM hour will be as follows: 4:22 PM to Port Washington; 4:25 PM to Great Neck; 4:43 PM to Port Washington; 4:46 PM to Great Neck; and 5:11 PM to Port Washington.

Ronkonkoma Branch
The 4:34 PM train to Ronkonkoma from Atlantic Terminal is canceled. The 4:24 PM Penn Station-Ronkonkoma train will have an added stop at Jamaica and the 4:31 PM Penn Station-Huntington train will have added stops at New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury to accommodate affected customers.

Main Line-Greenport
Weekend service will only be available from Memorial Day Weekend through Columbus Day Weekend.

West Hempstead Branch
Weekend service is eliminated. The 8:28 AM peak train to Atlantic Terminal has been canceled and other departure times of AM peak trains have been altered to provide more evenly space morning service with an AM schedule as follows: 5:37 AM; 6:53 AM; 7:36 AM; 8:07 AM; and 8:54 AM.

Jury Duty Special
Starting September 13, the “Jury Duty Special” train will begin operating on the Main Line/Ronkonkoma Branch to get Suffolk jurors to Riverhead before 9 AM every day the courts are in session. The train will depart from Deer Park at 7:54 AM, making stops at Brentwood (7:59 AM), Central Islip (8:03 AM), Ronkonkoma (8:10 AM), Medford (8:21 AM), Yaphank (8:29 AM) and arriving in Riverhead at 8:55 AM, where a free shuttle bus will take jurors to nearby courthouses. The process is reversed in the afternoon, with trains leaving Riverhead Station at 1:21 PM and 3:58 PM. More than 30,000 Suffolk County residents are summoned to serve on juries in Riverhead every year.

Construction/Track Work Projects
Babylon Branch (also affecting Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, Montauk trains)
Midday weekdays, one of two main tracks between Freeport and Amityville will be out of service for a track tie replacement program. One local train will operate in each direction each hour. The second Babylon local train will originate and terminate in Freeport and have added stops at Lynbrook and St. Albans each hour. Semi-express service will remain hourly with added stops at Amityville, Copiague and Lindenhurst and no stops at Freeport and Massapequa. Train times will be adjusted up to 31 minutes later. There will also be some minor schedule adjustments for connecting trains at Jamaica for some Port Jefferson/Huntington, Oyster Bay, and Montauk Branch trains.

Far Rockaway Branch (also affecting Hempstead, Huntington, Long Beach trains)
Midday weekdays, one of two main tracks between Valley Stream and Far Rockaway will be out of service for a track tie replacement program. Eastbound Far Rockaway trains will operate 30 minutes later and eastbound Hempstead Branch trains (connecting at Jamaica) will also operate 30 minutes later. Eastbound Long Beach trains will operate 35 minutes later. Some midday eastbound Huntington trains will operate three minutes later.
  by LongIslandTool

Just to note, the New York City Council is voting next month to change the name of Atlantic Terminal to The Malcolm X Transportation CompleX.

Show me the councilman and I will tell you how he is going to vote.
  by condr

Boy I am gald I retired. :-)
  by Sir Ray

West Hempstead Branch
"The 8:28 AM peak train to Atlantic Terminal has been canceled"

Heh - ironically this will help me. Why? Easy...
When the Southern State eastbound is packed due to an accident or whatever - to have any hope of getting to work on time I take the side roads - and invariably encounter a backup from this train, either at the Eagle Avenue crossing or stuck behind traffic on Hempstead Garden Drive waiting to make a left across the Maple St crossing (depending on how late it was running - oh, sorry, LIRR trains are always on schedule).
For once, unintended consequences break my way...
  by nyrmetros

LongIslandTool wrote:Just to note, the New York City Council is voting next month to change the name of Atlantic Terminal to The Malcolm X Transportation CompleX.

No fu@ken way !!!
  by SlackControl

LongIslandTool wrote:Just to note, the New York City Council is voting next month to change the name of Atlantic Terminal to The Malcolm X Transportation CompleX.

is anyone else upset at all at the tremendous amount of money that went into renovating this station, and the viaduct leading to it, only to have the amount of service to it reduced? How will this be saving any money? All together, only 5 crews were eliminated as a result of this. Other crews were re-assigned to start and end their routes in Jamaica instead of Brooklyn. I'm having trouble seeing just how much this is really saving the company. Seems like it's just more of an inconvenience to the passengers to me than anything else. The one that bugs me the most is the morning train that originates in Henpstead, discharges all passengers in Jamaica, then continues as equipment to Brooklyn anyway. Really???
  by LongIslandTool

It's not about saving money. It's about getting money.
  by workextra

Tool,
I'm no big fan of this, but why not shrink wrap some of the precious M7s? I mean it would generate come advertising revenues.
a big N with a picture of Halls disruptions on the side of an M7? from the friends at Newsday?
maybe the other 2 biggest critics can hop aboard with adds for News 12 can Cable?
Ah Why not Verison? FIOS? Can you here me now?
Things go better with coke? (the soft drink)
Just an Idea?
maybe this history/discovery channel/TLC?
Out of 843 or so M7's I see dollar signs.
this is not even touching the M3 and diesel fleet.
the diesel fleet, In my honest opinion should be representative of the company and it's history and carry either a corporate seal, Keystone, or a Tichy map logo.
NJT is doing it so can the LIRR, Amtrak has done it too.
Again I'm no big fan of it, but if it can save jobs and help close the budget gap then I'm all for it.
  by LongIslandTool

Any income derived from self help would only serve to diminish funding through taxation. That's not what the agency wants. Earning income takes work and requires responsibility. Crying and raising tax funds is free and effortless. Once it is achieved, it continues to grow effortlessly.
  by geico

matt91 wrote:I wonder how everyone made it thru the first day of the new cuts... thoughts?
I was on the 424 to Ronk out of Penn (2060) with the added Jamaica stop to replace the cancelled 434 out of Brooklyn. Lets put it this way, I wouldnt want to be getting on at Jamaica for this train. It was standees at Penn (give or take some people not wanting middle seats). It got worse at Jamaica.
  by Commuter X

matt91 wrote:I wonder how everyone made it thru the first day of the new cuts... thoughts?
Other than not having a conductor check for tickets, on my Monday and Tuesday morning commute, no problems here

If this continues, I may opt to purchase a 10-trip ticket instead of a monthly

Commuter X
  by keyboardkat

Maybe they could sell cheaper tickets to those who would rather ride outside (on the roof?) than brave the crow :-D ds of standees. (This idea came from an old Jack Benny sketch, where a ticket agent gave him the various priced tickets, and then quoted a price for the one where you "get to ride inside." He said, "I guess I'd better ride inside. I'm not as young as I used to be, you know." The ticket agent replied, "You're not as young as ANYBODY used to be!")
  by SlackControl

Being that this train doesn't have a connection from the west anymore probably won't help increase it's numbers.
  by Amtrak7

That special needs to go to Farmingdale.
  by hrfcarl

Amtrak7 wrote:That special needs to go to Farmingdale.
Hicksville would be even better if made to connect with a train from points west - not to transport juriors, but lawyers, judges and other court employees. Also, more advertising would help - does not show on current small time tables...