• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ScotCP356

Saw him in Macedon NY. Snuck up on me but still got him.

-Scottie
  by charlie6017

JoeS wrote:Took the West Shore through the Rochester area and by CP-359 around 2 PM.
Well, in this case I'm super glad I stayed home. I was thinking of heading up to MP 374 by Klein Steel......that
wouldn't have worked out so well! :-P

Hope you guys got some good photos on this bright sunny day!

Charlie
  by Kendaia1

8100 came through Savannah, NY about 2:50 pm, my first time seeing a NS Heritage unit! :-)
  by lvrr325

My dad saw it go by Destiny USA purely by chance -
  by ScotCP356

HEADS UP! BNSF train U-TNDCXP0-15T with the NS 8101 the Central of Georgia. It's a DPU as of now, facing in (facing east). BNSF 9311 (SD70ACe) & CP 9601 (AC4400CW) are up front leading the train. I believe this is the first time that this heritage to come to Upstate New York!

-Scottie
  by C2629

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, yes it is on a train that's headed this way. But it is a DPU which CSX doesn't use and it could get cut off and the train continue with out it. So making upstate NY is not guaranteed. I've seen several oil trains with only two units. All we can do is wait and hope.
  by ScotCP356

True but this has happen before. NS 8105 was a DPU on a oil train to CSX and it was put as a third unit. So technically it can just be addition to the lashup up front.

-Scottie
  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:True but this has happen before. NS 8105 was a DPU on a oil train to CSX and it was put as a third unit. So technically it can just be addition to the lashup up front. -Scottie
Scott. I already said it before to you. you need to wait until it is handed off to CSX... how many times in the past that H.U. got cut off in chicago??

and No, CoF was in NYS before on southern tier... on 12T last year, if I remember right.
  by ScotCP356

sd80mac wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:True but this has happen before. NS 8105 was a DPU on a oil train to CSX and it was put as a third unit. So technically it can just be addition to the lashup up front. -Scottie
Scott. I already said it before to you. you need to wait until it is handed off to CSX... how many times in the past that H.U. got cut off in chicago??

and No, CoF was in NYS before on southern tier... on 12T last year, if I remember right.

Yeah I am being patient about it, I know what might happen and actually the C of G has not come to NY at all, if it does come east of Cicero IL, then it will be it's first time coming to Upstate New York.

As of 6:45 this morning, the C of G and the oil train, U-TNDCXP0-15T has arrive in Cicero IL, and soon enough we will find out if CSX is going to add the heritage with the rest of the power or just going to cut it off. Personally I want it to stay on the train but that's me ;-)

Also for heads up, Amtrak 48 the Lakeshore Limited has the Veterans heritage on the point! If anyone is interested.

-Scott
  by csxt2558

As why you shouldn't get so excited, the Central of Georgia was cut off of K04227, it only has the BNSF 9311 and CP 9601. Also 48 didn't have the Veterans Unit, it has the Phase IV #184.
  by charlie6017

ScotCP356 wrote:Also for heads up, Amtrak 48 the Lakeshore Limited has the Veterans heritage on the point! If anyone is interested.
I was lucky enough to be sitting in the parking lot near the Main St. crossing in Fairport when I saw
Amtrak #48 come through. East-bound Q625 was juuuuust clearing on "The Shore" when it came by on
track #2. This is the very first "Heritage Unit" I have ever seen in person!! :-D

Best part was I had no clue it was coming......a very pleasant surprise.

Charlie

by C2629

There was some confusion about what unit was leading 48. Some one had posted on heritage units.com that the veterans unit was leading. 184 is a heritage unit, not the veterans unit. Not sure how anyone could make that mistake but they did. The eastbound coming off the west shore was not Q625, with very few exceptions eastbounds are even numbers and westbounds are odd numbers.
  by charlie6017

C2629 wrote:The eastbound coming off the west shore was not Q625, with very few exceptions eastbounds are even numbers and westbounds are odd numbers.
Thank you for waking me up.........generally that's something I had remembered but failed to
translate in my post here. This east-bound train was led by engine 8625, which is what messed me
up there.

Charlie
  by sd80mac

csxt2558 wrote:As why you shouldn't get so excited, the Central of Georgia was cut off of K04227, it only has the BNSF 9311 and CP 9601. Also 48 didn't have the Veterans Unit, it has the Phase IV #184.
thanks... I know that would be most likely of what would happens... CSX dont need extra power on thier flat route...

Did they cut it off on BNSF land, at BRC yard, or on CSX?
  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:and No, CoF was in NYS before on southern tier... on 12T last year, if I remember right.

then it will be it's first time coming to Upstate New York. -Scott

Please see my comment again above..

The Peach has been already in NYS last summer or around that time... And I had confirmed that with someone else..