• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by insider485

Update.............work continues around the wildcat interlock area. Looks like a new section of track interlocks are set aside the original main line coming from Reading if your heading easterly. Also, there is a new area filled in and ballasted between the two rails (wildcat and Reading line) at the bend on wildcat side if your looking towards Salem St. that shows either there moving the approach closer to the Reading main line. If I had pictures it will be clearer. A new signal tower is also going up. I do think it will replace the old signal house and Home tower antenna. New rail is down by the old steel barrier that was completely removed weeks ago.

that's about it. :wink:
  by insider485

to answer your questions is a new signal tower is going up over the main line and a new track that looks will be laid on the access road. Yes, unmanned. and the home signal is the existing signal tower next to the switching interlock at the wildcat.
The home signal is used to inform Boston Mystic Valley Dispatch that a train is in the area. :P :wink:
  by GP40MC1118

The use of the term "signal tower" is incorrect. That implies there's a new Interlocking tower
being constructed like Waltham Tower. What we have here are new signals being put up for
the reconfiguration of CPW-WJ.

CPW-WJ is still controlled by PAR District 2, not the Boston Mystic Valley Dispatcher. Again,
that name is incorrect. The Boston Valley TD controls up to, but not including CPW-WJ on the
Western Route mainline. Boston West controls the Wildcat Branch up to and including CPW-WJ.

D
  by morgan28k

Last weekend I went down Lowell Junction road and viewed the LJ interlocking from the crossing. Here is what I observed:
1. Two new signal masts (each with 3 signal heads) have been installed just west of the crossing. Signal heads turned away from
the tracks.
2. At the east end of the interlocking I can see a signal bridge over both tracks with 3 head signals installed and turned away from
the track.
3. I can see new three headed signal on the PAR track coming into the interlocking. Signal heads turned away from track.
4. Crossover from #1 track to #2 track appears complete. On the #1 track the crossover begins about 50 yards east of
Lowell Junction Road crossing.
5. In the wye work area there were two new crossing gate masts (with red flashers and electronic bell speaker on top) laying on sawhorses
for eventual installation.
6. Some piece of track grooming equipment is parked on #1 track east of crossing.
7. The present 3 head searchlight signal mast controlling the west end of the present interlocking is located to the right of track 1.
A blue light has been added to right side of mast to indicate that #1 track not signalled and that the present signal is for #2 track.
  by BostonUrbEx

morgan28k wrote:3. I can see new three headed signal on the PAR track coming into the interlocking. Signal heads turned away from track.
In the same location as the current signal mast? Hopefully they moved it slightly west so held trains can see it from the dirt crossing.
  by morgan28k

Regarding new signal controlling PAR track coming into LJ - the new signal seems to be about 20 yards west of the
present searchlight signal. Don't know where the dirt road is relative to that new signal. Did not go down to the
new signal - only observed from Lowell Junction Road crossing.
  by swist

I would also note that the removal of earth berms/retaining wall just south of Demoulas is complete and track has been installed. When the Wildcat junction work is done, this will complete all the double tracking except (as discussed earlier) through Ballardvale.
  by Arlington

GP40MC1118 wrote:...stone train for Lowell Jct today. 9AM at BET.
Saw it outbound at 10am at West Medford
  by Arlington

Work train outbound at West Medford at 8:36a. Flat car, gravel hopper, and box car and was that a caboose in the lead?
  by The EGE

Only tangentially related to the current upgrades (although it does make reference to them): I found this 1992 article that talks about North Wilmington station. Apparently at that time, trains blocked the crossing (and thus emergency vehicles) when stopped at the station. The article says a temporary platform would be constructed away from Middlesex Avenue so that trains would not block the crossing; although the gates would be down, emergency vehicles could drive around them.

Am I correct in assuming that the "temporary" platform was constructed, and is still in use?