Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Swedish Meatball

The quadrant type is intended for track speeds in excess of 79mph, which would immediately exclude all of the branches on the New Haven. The Hudson and the Lower Harlem would be more appropriate for these gates. Another solution would be to put cameras at each crossing and ticket the cars like they use in California. This would reduce the cost of the gates from the revenue from fines.

by DutchRailnut

crossing gates are just like mouse traps, you built a better mousetrap and you just create a better mouse too. with occupancy sensors the motorist would figure that if they don't move of a crossing they just stop or slow a train down, they just won't get of crossing anymore.
  by Tom Curtin

This subject is still attracting entries, so I will insert this item which is several days old (I was off the forum for several days due to being out of town on business).

Heard this on the car radio news on 9/22: MNR reported that the lead car (or pair, it wasn't clear which) was considered "totaled" and the second pair had significant damage. I believe the report on to say the railroad anticipated a damage bill of something like $4 million!!

My daily commute on the SMP takes me past this spot, and I have often had to use Green Lane to do a local errand. I have to respectfully disagree with a statement in here somewhere that the road is level crossing the tracks. The curve is superelevated, and the roadbed is high, and it's very much an up-and-over crossing that any vehicle has to take quite slowly.

I appreciate the time consuming inefficiency of going through multiple 911 operators. Not long ago I called in myself to report a malfuntioning crossing signal elsewhere (not on the Harlem) on MNR. I seem to recall the blue sign there did not have an MNR number, much to my surprise, but only told you to call 911. I did --- and it took a while.

etc

by Noel Weaver

It appears to me that all of the Metro-North equipment involved in this
was M-1's. If this be the case, they might just scrap the whole business
as new M-7's are coming on line anyway.
Dutch might be able to correct me on this one.
Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

The pair involved was 8342-43 I believe, it looks like its totalled. Brewster now has 5 pair of retired M1's on hold with all shoes etc removed.

by mkm4

Short update:

The car numbers of the set from head end to tail are:

8243-8242-8374-8375-8230-8231

The set has also been moved to the track adjacent to the main tracks.