• Hampton branch activity tracker

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonny Bolt

Thanks guys. I am pretty stupid about this stuff. So thanks again.

I will talk to my bro again soon, and I will come back with any relevant content I can.
  by Hux

rr_explorer wrote:Perhaps they could extend the line from Hampton to Seabrook and provide service to this growing company that is adjacent to the R.O.W.
http://www.newburyportnews.com/punews/l ... 30432.html
Aside from the obvious costs involved with rejuvenating the line (what is it, about a million a mile?), it sounds like you would have NIMBYs galore were the prospects of rail service raised.
  by Rockingham Racer

Hux wrote:
rr_explorer wrote:Perhaps they could extend the line from Hampton to Seabrook and provide service to this growing company that is adjacent to the R.O.W.
Aside from the obvious costs involved with rejuvenating the line (what is it, about a million a mile?), it sounds like you would have NIMBYs galore were the prospects of rail service raised.
NIMBYS always have the option to move. [I know, easier said than done!]. In any case, I'm willing to bet the railroad was in place well before the current residents placed themselves near it! :P
  by b&m 1566

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Hux wrote:
NIMBYS always have the option to move. [I know, easier said than done!]. In any case, I'm willing to bet the railroad was in place well before the current residents placed themselves near it! :P
I hate that phrase. A train hasn't gone through the area since 1963 (excluding the service used to build the power plant, which came from Portsmouth). The train has been missing for 45 years now
  by oldrr

There may be some merit to an extension. Besides this new company, Walmart is adjacent to the right of way. Maybe Seabrook Station would use rail if it were available. It does go thru their property.

The extension would be that long and the cost should be a lot less than the million per mile because you really only need to go about 5 mph or so, or whatever they are doing on the rest of the branch.

With the price of fuel unfortunately going up, rail is becoming more attractive. Would be nice to see the Hampton Industrial used to the max.
  by rr_explorer

What is the true cost per mile of re-laying ties & rail on an existing roadbed, assuming bridges can be reused and signals do not need to be installed?
  by MEC407

rr_explorer wrote:...assuming bridges can be reused and signals do not need to be installed?
Unfortunately, by the time the rails and ties have been ripped up, the signals are usually long-gone as well, and the bridges are most likely in questionable condition... so you'll need to assume that the bridges and signals do need repair work, at the very least.
  by Hux

MEC407 wrote:
rr_explorer wrote:...assuming bridges can be reused and signals do not need to be installed?
Unfortunately, by the time the rails and ties have been ripped up, the signals are usually long-gone as well, and the bridges are most likely in questionable condition... so you'll need to assume that the bridges and signals do need repair work, at the very least.
I was using the "million per mile" based on the comments made by the new owner of the Grafton & Upton regarding work they need to do on their road.
  by NHN503

I heard the mile markers for the line are given as "Z" now. Can anyone confirm?
  by frrc

Hux wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
I was using the "million per mile" based on the comments made by the new owner of the Grafton & Upton regarding work they need to do on their road.
I always thought the $1 million per mile figure was for brand new track/roadbed.

J
  by Dick H

A businessman in North Hampton is planning to buy a state bridge in Rye and use it to cross the B&M in North Hampton. It is unclear from the article if this is the current Hampton Branch or not. Perhaps someone from the area can elaborate.
Story here: http://tinyurl.com/5jaa95

Dick
  by truman

Dick H wrote:A businessman in North Hampton is planning to buy a state bridge in Rye and use it to cross the B&M in North Hampton. It is unclear from the article if this is the current Hampton Branch or not. Perhaps someone from the area can elaborate.
Story here: http://tinyurl.com/5jaa95

Dick

It is. The business is located in the corner formed where the old main line crosses under US Rte. 1 via an old concrete bridge. Old MP 52 is sometimes visible from said bridge, depending on foliage.
  by Mattydred

Traveling on Ocean Road just yesterday, and noticed that the RoW was considerably overgrown, and the rails rusted. From the vantages of Banfield Road Crossing and Greenland Depot.

There hasn't been a train in months by the looks of it. There are ragweeds in the ballast as tall as a man. And overhead growth less that two feet off the grade. Very sad. I'm left to wonder how long it'll be before the scrappers drift in for the pickings.
  by Rockingham Racer

If the branch goes belly-up, what's the chance the State of New Hampshire will buy it? We have history of them doing so, correct?