Railroad Forums 

• Hampton branch activity tracker

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#468626  by tom18287

Somethingorother wrote:I don't know if anyone else caught it, but I finally got to watch a train cross the Sarah Long Bridge yesterday. Around 2 in the afternoon a single engine pulled a DOD caboose and 3 flatcars (which had been sitting in portsmouth yard for a week or so) over into kittery, the engine returned across the bridge about 20 minutes later. Interestingly enough it returned facing the other direction, anyone know if there is a turntable in the Naval Shipyard?

you bastard, i'm so jealous. i've been watchin that bridge since i was like 4!

good to see it still somewhat serves it's purpuse

did there used to be rails that continued straight up through york?
 #468656  by ferroequinarchaeologist

The line went to the far end of York Beach. I think a search will find it discussed in this and related forums. Yes, you can follow a lot of the ROW today.

PBM

#468929  by rr_explorer

There is quite a rail network in the shipyard. It appears as though the cranes share rails with the railroad cars. I am surprised the aerial images are not blocked out.

#469068  by tom18287

i agree. i still wish i got to see the train go over the bridge/ does it come from the south following the eastern branch, or does it come from dover?

#469479  by NaugMOW

I got playing with bird's eye view on Windows Live. It looks as if bird's eye of Rigby yard in South Portland is now available.

#470030  by Jonny Bolt

tom18287 wrote:i agree. i still wish i got to see the train go over the bridge/ does it come from the south following the eastern branch, or does it come from dover?
South along the eastern branch, and hooks up to the ports. branch right at the salt pile in ports.

FOSS MANUFACTURING NEWS:

Talked to my bro last evening, went over to check out the 8-point buck he got in the morning. We ended up talking about the train and he said Foss is no longer using the rails to bring in the pellets. He's worked there for over 10 years, and he says everything is coming in by truck now :( He also mentioned there had been a washout of some sort under the tracks in north hampton/rye area and that it was causing a problem. But I cannot confirm the washout.

This is terrible news for us here in Hampton. Foss was the last customer on the "Hampton Branch". RIPPED OFF AGAIN!!! GRRRRRRRRR

#470167  by Finch

Last time I saw the Sarah Long bridge (if I'm thinking of the right one), there was a sizeable section of the lower deck of the bridge removed, presumably to allow large marine traffic through. It looked like it had just been pulled right out and placed on the tracks (or at least on the same level of the bridge as the tracks...I was far away). Did they put this back to get a train across? Is there some mechanism in place to do this, or was the section just temporarily removed, or what?

#470217  by Finch

Cool, I'd like to see that thing in action. Hard to visualize how they actually get the rail bed back in there.

#470395  by Jonny Bolt

Finch wrote:Cool, I'd like to see that thing in action. Hard to visualize how they actually get the rail bed back in there.
Yes, it is quite a unit. When fishing the river from a friends boat, I had a lot of opportunities to get up close to it and really check it out. Neat thing for sure. Often some great Striper blitzes around it in the Fall too! :-D

#471410  by Dick H

The Portsmouth Navy Yard Switcher made it back from the MM&A shops and will probably go to the shipyard on Monday on PH-1. Keep those scanners on.....

Dick

#471468  by tom18287

someone snap a pic!

#474791  by Jonny Bolt

Jonny Bolt wrote:Ok, last night I was going to friends down near North Beach, and I hear that oh so familiar sounds.......diesel pounding the rails and the horn being hit. I almost shat. I hopped in my truck and flew uptown to see if they were servicing Foss Manufacturing. NOTHING! I was like WTF? Damn thing is only allowed to go 5 mph here lol, and it still whooped me. Well, I heard it, loud and clear, and wish I couldve found it. But I didnt feel like chasing it up Rte. 1 , so I just pouted and went home.

This was last night (Tuesday night) around 11:15.
So last night while walking my dog, I heard another diesel freight lol. I live between the beach and uptown, so it was a bit louder this time. It was really rippin' off those horns too. It was between 9 and 9:30 pm. So now I assume this is a large freight going South through Exeter, and the "still air" and quiet of the season is allowing me to hear it all the way here in Hampton. It was a pretty long train, I actually stood in the road and listened to it till I couldnt here the diesel chug or horns anymore. Pretty cool hearing that here!

#490427  by truman

Its hard to tell since the thaw began, but someone cleared the track to Hampton with a rubber tired loader earlier this week. This is good news.

#527683  by truman

This may mean nothing, but considering managements attitude, it could be significant: The graffiti on the crossing protection electrical cabinet at Breakfast Hill road (Greenland) has been painted over. Who would take the time and why?