• Guilford/Pan Am Customer Between Wilmington and Anderson RTC

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by GP40MC 1116

I wanted to ask and see if anyone could give me more information.

The other day when I was on MBCR Train 208 heading through Wilmington Station and again through and past Anderson RTC Staiton, I noticed a few things I had not seen before. It looked just past Wilmington, that their was a company that recieves rail service, with a few grain hopper cars and the such, not sure what that place is. And then past Anderson RTC I saw 1 or 2 sidings with a few cuts of cars sitting their, a few RAILBOX Boxcars and hoppers and a lone tank car i believe

Can anyone fill me in further?

by Guilford Guy

From what I hear the Company with the Hoppers has their own Plymouth or Switcher to switch em...
  by cpf354

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I wanted to ask and see if anyone could give me more information.

The other day when I was on MBCR Train 208 heading through Wilmington Station and again through and past Anderson RTC Staiton, I noticed a few things I had not seen before. It looked just past Wilmington, that their was a company that recieves rail service, with a few grain hopper cars and the such, not sure what that place is. And then past Anderson RTC I saw 1 or 2 sidings with a few cuts of cars sitting their, a few RAILBOX Boxcars and hoppers and a lone tank car i believe

Can anyone fill me in further?
Could be any two of these:
Glens Falls Cement
Crystal Warehouse
Wilmington Cold Storage
Atlantic Plywood
Rothstein
Tighe Warehousing
Woburn Concrete & Masonry Supply

by consist

North of Anderson RTC is Glens Falls Cement. Not grain hoppers, cement hoppers.
Just south of RTC is Atlantic Plywood (1-3 cars couple times a week, boxcar loads of lumber).
South of there (just past the bridge under 95) is the team track serving adjacent warehouses Tighe Distribution and Rohtstein Bakery.
The tank car you saw is probably corn syrup for the bakery.

by consist

To round out the list above: Crystal and Wilmington Cold Storage are all done getting service, their split siding leaves the mainline between Glens Falls and RTC, where an old D&H boxcar is parked behind a fence.
Woburn Masonry is another 1/2 mile south of Tighe/Rohtstein. They seldom get cars anymore, but there's an occasional boxcar of bricks.

by l008com

Are you sure wilmington cold storage is done? They cleaned out the tracks for at least one car during the fall. Last year they were getting 3 cars at a time. I saw them switching out once, it was very cool :-)

by Stephen

Are you sure wilmington cold storage is done? They cleaned out the tracks for at least one car during the fall. Last year they were getting 3 cars at a time. I saw them switching out once, it was very cool
On Tuesday (January 2nd) there was a BNSF Refer spotted there. It has been there for several days.
North of Anderson RTC is Glens Falls Cement. Not grain hoppers, cement hoppers.
Glens Falls seems to get the most frequent service of any of the customers between Lowell and Boston.

It still bugs me that GRS/Pan Am doesn't serve the Lumber Supply company on the Wildcat in Wilmington any longer. Not to mention the Home Depot next to the Freight Main in Tewksbury...

- Stephen

by l008com

Not to mention that large building supply company two bulidngs over from the plywood place. They seem like a perfect rail candidate.

by CSX Conductor

Stephen wrote:It still bugs me that GRS/Pan Am doesn't serve the Lumber Supply company on the Wildcat in Wilmington any longer. Not to mention the Home Depot next to the Freight Main in Tewksbury...

- Stephen
Home Depot doesn't get rail service to their individual stores, but they do get a very large volume of product by rail at their distribution facilities. The nearest one to us is the one in Norwood at the University Avenue Industrial Park. About 3 or 4 years ago they moved from their old location to the former Star Market warehouse next door, which allowed them to nearly triple their capacity for product. CSXT local B710 out of Readville usually services Home Depot M-F late morning / early afternoon. The distribution center can hold 7 box cars inside the building, up to 10 flats on the 3 tracks outside of the building and 5 box cars spotted at doors on the other side of the building. (The old warehouse used to only hold 5 boxes and 2 flats). :wink:

by l008com

Heres a visual aide:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Canton,+M ... 7&t=k&om=1
I *think* that is centered on the Home Depot building, but I could easily be wrong. Thats quite a set of branches though huh!!! Do I even see a diamond over there?? Why is it the south side has areas like this, but the north side (of boston) has nothing but abandoned spurs?

by CSX Conductor

Look for a parking area shaped like a "U", pan to the left and down, the lot with alot of trailers is the Home Depot warehouse (575 University Ave.) and the long recyangular building North of it with a dark roof is the old warehouse, which still has a siding, but no active customers. To the right of the "u" shaped lot you will see a Long dark rectangular building with 3 or 4 flat cars (white looking), this is on Yale Street, the cars are loads of sheet rock for US Gypsum. All the way to the right just before the marsh is the Amtrak mainline. Following the mainly up towards Rte 128 you will come to the train station (right next to the highway with a white roof, trapezoid-ish shape, the next building below that is what used to be General Motors which used to get 4 boxcars of auto parts per switch, but closed 2 years ago and moved to Taunton with no rail service.....the building has since been demolished. The diamond in the industrial park is still there although the siding that crosses it isn't used due to no business. This industrial park is serviced in daytime hours as mentioned before and is a short walk from the west end of the Amtrak/Commuter Rail platform, which is where the east switch to the industrial park is. :wink:

by mick

Guilford does ship Lumber
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

The Globe also gets cars at their main building in Dorchester via CSX in Readville (up to 9 cars per switch). :wink:

by MikeB

There is a BNSF "Western Fruit Express" car at WCS as I type.

by cpf354

East of Home Depot there is sometime customer Holt and Bugbee Lumber at Shawsheen Street, across from Praxair.