• Green Line - wires down - 2/8

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by fm535

Ch 4 (WBZ) and the MBTA web site are reporting a downed overhead line on top of a Green Line car. The MBTA site states there is a disabled car. Ch 4 has an overhead cam view of Government Ctr and all the emergency vehicles. Any idea of what type of a vehicle is disabled? If it is a T-8, god help Breda from this point forward if it is the train's problem and not an infrastructure failure on the catenary side of things!

by CJ

Hah, I just heard it on channel 7, thought the same thing 'hope it isnt a breda'

As, I dont see how a train can take out the catenary, unless it jumps the track (or something)

Anywho, not sure, are they turnin inbound trains around at park?

by fm535

Actually, one of the last big T-8 accidents took down and destroyed a large length of catenary! But the way as Channel 7 reports it, it sounds like it just fell from the ceiling and ontop of a train. Sounds like an evening commute nightmare! Blue Line and Green Line are bussing!

by CJ

There bussing the blue?

Also seems like there using the brattle loop now, lechemere-> haymarket is 'restored' (yeah, like they did something heh)

by Ron Newman

I see nothing on the MBTA web site about any Blue Line problem.

by fm535

WHDH has video on their website with the report about the Blue Line ending at State. Since that is only a few yards from Government Ctr, maybe they aren't changing their site with any info. I doubt highly, if there are loose power lines that are capable of carrying 13kv, deactivated as they be, the MBTA would allow commuters access to the stairs thru Govt Ctr to come from the Blue Line platforms up thru the Green Line, unless the situation is well in control!

by CJ

Edit again:

Wire car was en-route, clearance issue, took out a feeder cable @ boylston.

Service @ boylston resumed, wire car in transit to government

Edit: moving wire car now (the 4366) to the GC loop

by GP40MC 1116

When i saw the birds eye view from "Sky 4" on CBS 4, it looked to be a fair ammout of T Vehicles and Boston Fire apparatus and various other trucks, cars and SUV's with emergency lights, looked to be alot of the Special Units and Rescue Co 1 from up the street which carries alot of special tools for the subway system. I would wonder if it's a T7 or a T8 that took down the wire, a big evening commute nightmare though for all if passing through that area.

by CJ

$20 says it was a T8, but I cant tell where it happened, they mentioned running the wire car east on the westbound trackage, so im guessing it was somewhere in the tunnel between Haymarket and GC?

Just heard it : Service restored, no restrictions!

by typesix

Car 3814 was towed away from the scene. That it was a T8 that was involved means nothing. Wire problems have been common since the Green converted over to pantograph operation on all types of cars.

by sjd0356

From what I heard on the scanner car 3814's pantograph snagged some wire or pipe above the running wire and the car could not be moved until they removed the pantograph. Which they did. Regular service began at 8:22pm.

by aline1969

I saw the entire thing from the 33rd floor of my work at 28 state street...six fire trucks, three ambulances, four cop cars and a T line truck.

by GP40MC 1116

6 Fire Trucks.. thats definitly a full box alarm for the BFD