• Green Line Extension Lechmere to Medford

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by deathtopumpkins

Arlington wrote: I updated the above bid to $1,080m (from $955m) because the higher price is the one that the winning contractor bid to include all of the "additive options":
This is not quite correct. $955 million was their bid price. $1.08 billion was with contingencies added on.

The $955 million included the additive options, then the MBTA added on a $125 million contingency amount to protect against cost overruns and unexpected expenses. Fairly standard in construction.
  by Arlington

So, did we officially get a Notice to Proceed?
[EDIT]
Yes, we've got a Notice to Proceed!
https://www.mbta.com/news/3239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dec 21 - BOSTON - The Federal Transit Administration today informed the MBTA Green Line Extension (GLX) Project Team that it has released the first $100 million installment of the total approved $1 billion in federal funding for the 4.7-mile light rail line from Cambridge to Medford, marking another milestone for the project. With federal funding in place, the MBTA issued the Notice to Proceed to GLX Design-Build team, GLX Constructors. After a sealed price opening last month, GLX Constructors won with its bid, a total of $1.08 billion.
  by rmccown

From my trains this week, I saw that there were crews around the BET surveying and marking the location for more GLX pylons.
  by ceo

The winning proposal from GLX Constructors has been posted on the GLX website. The losing bids are too.
  by rmccown

Lots of work going on over and around the Fitchburg line and Grand Junction. It looks like they've been drilling for where various piers will continue to be built. Lots of orange circles and other sprayed markings. They've also re-aligned at least the inbound Fitchburg line onto what looks like will be its final position, and connected the Grand Junction to it, instead of the double crossover.
  by bostontrainguy

I recall all the disagreement with the reconfiguration from the diamonds to the ladder switches and the legitimate complaints about how the new setup will hamper the engine house moves by shortening the leads. I am curious about why they didn't go to slip switches here. Wouldn't that have been a much better solution?
Last edited by CRail on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
  by ceo

Update from the vicinity of the Ball Square and Magoun Square stations:
- The turnout for the freight track has been removed
- The signals for that interlocking have been covered over and turned sideways
- All trees and brush have been cleared from the east side of the ROW (they're going to do the other side later this summer, I think)
- This morning, they appeared to be working on pulling up the freight track and the stub of the Freight Cutoff

I note that they somehow neglected to mention they were going to clear out all the trees at the various neighborhood meetings over the years. :-) Apparently they're mostly invasive species like Norway maple.

They're using the Ball Square Garage property (future site of the station) and the driveway behind Rogers Foam on Central St for access. Saw a tree-removal company truck with Hy-Rail gear go by on Medford St last week.
  by rmccown

rethcir wrote:http://amp.wcvb.com/article/the-extensi ... y/21935514

What is this, the third or fourth time Curtatone has put on a prop helmet, picked up a shovel and cut a ribbon?
Ah, *thats* what those awnings and fencing were when I came in this morning... They'd also graded the empty lot with some gravel last week. I assume so that they wouldnt get their feet muddy...
  by ceo

rethcir wrote:http://amp.wcvb.com/article/the-extensi ... y/21935514

What is this, the third or fourth time Curtatone has put on a prop helmet, picked up a shovel and cut a ribbon?
Congressman Capuano was quoted in another article as saying "I swore I'd never go to another Green Line groundbreaking, because I'd already been to three"
  by rethcir

Capuano probably has to go roll up his sleeves and earn his keep for the first time in a long time. He has a very competent opponent for his seat in Ayanna Pressley
  by rmccown

Things are getting serious at the Union Square site. Looks like a port-a-potty was set up some time in the last few days.
  by rmccown

There is a whole lot of rail on the ground along the route next to the Fitchburg line. And they’re starting the site clearing. The chain link fence is gone and they’re starting to clean up the rest of the junk on the site.
  by BandA

What is the meaning of "inbound" especially after the GLX opens...
  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote:What is the meaning of "inbound" especially after the GLX opens...
Traditionally anything heading to Park from either direction is considered "inbound". So even with the GLX you still have trains heading inbound although they may be terminating at Government Center. "Westbound" and "Eastbound" are also used especially with any run-through trains which may be the case for at least some trains once the GLX opens.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.