• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by frrc

[DELETED]
Last edited by frrc on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by frrc

FWIW, I'll be posting some recent photos of the G&U over at nerail's photo site later on today.

by Jedijk88

The Alco S2 is still on the property and ran today, bringing an SP boxcar from Washington Mills to the yard. A CSXT boxcar was spotted at the Wheatabix transload.

by N. Todd

Anyone confirmed the Alco (S-4, #1001?) is still in the enginehouse?
What is the heritage of their current machine?

by rb

What's new on the GU? Did any of the potential new business materialize? Is Washington Mills still taking cars?
  by frrc

The business that the G&U was hoping to show up and use their trackage fell through. Last thing I heard, was the entire RR was up for sale, for around $2 million. The siding that was at Grafton center (where the NHRR car was) was for sale a while back, for $500,000, including some land near the siding.

JFF

by thebigham

G&U Roster:

9 GE 44-tonner - for sale (9/07 Railpace)
212 Alco S4 - the usual power
214 Alco S2 - is this engine still around?
1001 Alco S4 - stored in enginehouse (9/07 Railpace)
Last edited by thebigham on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by NYC27

212 is an S4; was there ever a 214 on the property?
  by frrc

I heard that there is still a locomotive in the old engine house at Hopedale, that was a year or two ago. Considering the track is out of service from Hopedale - Upton, it makes sense. The 44 tonner @ West Upton is still there, looking worse...

JFF

by PVRX1

I don't think there was ever a 214. And 1001 is allegedly still in the enginehouse.

by thebigham

Thanks for the info!
  by frrc

The flanger and other pieces of equipment at the former Hopedale yards are also up for sale also.

by SkiScorcher88

I've updated NERail with some more photos. I spent my winter break going up and down the G&U checking it out. Aside from the N. Grafton depot & Washington Mills, there doesn't seem to be much activity elsewhere.

There is definitely no hope for Hopedale.

by wog820

SkiScorcher88 wrote:I've updated NERail with some more photos. I spent my winter break going up and down the G&U checking it out. Aside from the N. Grafton depot & Washington Mills, there doesn't seem to be much activity elsewhere.

There is definitely no hope for Hopedale.

Nice job going around taking pictures of everything :-D I never knew about the flanger :( Now I'll have to go check it out. :wink: