• Good Places to watch CN in Illinois and So. Wisconsin?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by AmtrakFan

Does anyone know of Good Places where to watch CN that are safe and not too far away from Chicago. Note I tried Franklin Park couldn't even find a Spot we went home after a while so is their anywhere esle?

AmtrakFan
  by bearclaw36

Try Deval Jct in Des Plaines. Also try the Prospect Hts, Wheeling, or Buffalo Grove METRA stations. The Metra stations are all public property and you'll be 5 feet from the trains.
  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:Does anyone know of Good Places where to watch CN that are safe and not too far away from Chicago. Note I tried Franklin Park couldn't even find a Spot we went home after a while so is their anywhere esle?
Did you go to B-12, where the CN crosses Metra in Franklin Park? You can get there from Franklin Avenue about a block east of Edgington Street; go north up the driveway between the Metra building and the CN tracks to the southwest corner of the junction. It's Metra property so they could chase you out of there but I haven't heard of it happening.

And bearclaw36 is right, Metra's North Central Service runs on the CN to Antioch so there's plenty of spots to watch trains.
  by AmtrakFan

MikeF wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:Does anyone know of Good Places where to watch CN that are safe and not too far away from Chicago. Note I tried Franklin Park couldn't even find a Spot we went home after a while so is their anywhere esle?
Did you go to B-12, where the CN crosses Metra in Franklin Park? You can get there from Franklin Avenue about a block east of Edgington Street; go north up the driveway between the Metra building and the CN tracks to the southwest corner of the junction. It's Metra property so they could chase you out of there but I haven't heard of it happening.

And bearclaw36 is right, Metra's North Central Service runs on the CN to Antioch so there's plenty of spots to watch trains.
No I didn't try that now I will.

AmtrakFan