• Frsico 4-8-2 1522?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by N&WJ

I know that this is old news, but Why did Frisco 4-8-2 1522 go back into retirement? Where there lack of funding or mechanical problems. I know that they keep her under roof at the St. Louis Museum.

by Mike Walsh

Frisco 1522's association suffered financial issues, which were combined with mechanical issues. The boiler needed to be redone, the liability insurance required by the host RR's was skyrocketing due to 9/11. I also believe that one of the cars that 1522 hauls as part of its' personal train needs a new centerbeam, which means money. It all boils down to money, and I heard that at a recent "meeting" of what used to be the association, there was a big quarrel about some issues, and it appears that 1522 may not run again, at least not under the leadership of the past association. I think it will take "new blood" like those of us in high school/college/just graduated to bring it back... Which I wouldn't mind helping with.

by Engineer James

Sorry to see and hear of their troubles.

by Mike Walsh

Yeah, it frustrates me a bit, as I was about to turn old enough to become a member of their association - I was 17 when they shut it down, so I can't participate. The bonus was that I was only 10 mins' drive from their facility but now it is locked up since it is no longer the associations' property. I hope that someday it can be resurrected.

I hope that with the new blood coming in, there will be some steamers amongst us so that we can try and form a coalition and bring the 1522 back to life!

Mike

by Engineer James

Hey, you are singing to the choir. Im only 16, 17... on Feb. 14. Any plans to resurrect soon? or is the Museum just going to hold on to it.

by Mike Walsh

the museum owns it. It was leased to the steam association, and they operated it and did the maintenance and so forth on it. Now that its' fire has been put out for a lengthy amoutn of time, the museum owns it and the association lost the lease on it. So basically, it is not operational. If someone decides to sponsor the locomotive, then it will probably come back to life.