• Footage of Derailments

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by hutch1984

When I was in conductor training in Atlanta a couple years ago, they showed us a CSX training video focusing on wheel defects and how to spot them. Part of the video showed an awesome staged derailment. It showed about 20 or so various freight cars traveling around 40mph, with the lead car derailing and the other cars pilling up on top of each other. The sound it made was incredible.
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this video, or if there are any more videos of staged derailments like this. I've seen the few videos on youtube of the crash tests, but no derailments.

by GN 599

When I was in Overland Park KS for my class time as an engineer they showed a video from the 70's or early 80's on why its a bad idea to bottle the air. Showed a cut of cars rolling at a high rate of speed crash, it was awesome. It too was staged, sounds like the same video to me. We also watched ''Trouble at Troublesome''. It was a Rio Grande safety video from the 50's about safety. Basicly a crew misses an approach block and to simulate the crash they shake the camera around and then cut to the footage of the actual wreck. It was classic. I am gonna have to look for it on youtube.

by GOLDEN-ARM

"Trouble at Troublesome" was a funny classic. The claims of the crew wrecking the "Million Dollar Train" was funny, with that not even covering half the price of a single loco, today. The crew missed the signals, because they were too busy talking about what a great run they were having, and what they were going to do, since they were going to get a "quit"!!! Another great training film, was B.L.E.V.E. and the explosions are classics...... :P

by BR&P

The BLEVE video showed actual explosions from real wrecks. I recall being told that in one of them - I believe it was in Texas - the cameraman was killed.

by LCJ

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:"Trouble at Troublesome" was a funny classic.
And you got to see it once. I had to watch it over, and over, and over...

by GN 599

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:"Trouble at Troublesome" was a funny classic. The claims of the crew wrecking the "Million Dollar Train" was funny, with that not even covering half the price of a single loco, today. The crew missed the signals, because they were too busy talking about what a great run they were having, and what they were going to do, since they were going to get a "quit"!!! Another great training film, was B.L.E.V.E. and the explosions are classics...... :P
Oh yeah the Million Dollar train. Reminds me of the Dr. Evil in the first Austin Powers movie. Gonna hold the world for ransom for ''1 Million Dollars''. Which was a lot when he was frozen in 1967. :-D

by GOLDEN-ARM

LCJ wrote: I had to watch it over, and over, and over...
Quoting Napoleon Dynamite: LUUUCKYYYY

by uhaul

That first link sure had a lot of religious imagery. Actually all the links had religious imagery. It was the 1950s after all and we were afraid of the church repressing atheist commies. Those older cars can get some good body roll going around corners. I am pretty sure that classic ambulance is a Packard. In those days it was normal to ride in the back of a pickup, but you just don’t see that as much as you used to. Today more people wear seatbelts than they did in 1955. It is very heartbreaking and an emotional rollercoaster when a loved one is injured whether it is their own doing or not. While one of my teachers did not have a heart attack they did pass right out in front of the whole class. Too bad they were standing at the time. The torch scene creeped me out, but unless you show every detail some people will never learn.