Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

the first of 8 type P40 has arrived at ConnDOT no 833.
next week more to follow.
its not known when they will go into service.

by shadyjay

I know this is too early to imagine, Dutch, but any word on whether they'll be repainted? Renumbered? Will they still carry Amtrak markings?

Heck, as long as they can pull a train between Point A and Point B, who cares, right?

-JH

by DutchRailnut

no repainting or renumbering they are only leased.
And personaly I don't think lease will last long ;-)

by li7039

what phase 3 4 5

by D429 Renown

I presume that this means that the F units will stop operating when the P40 start working ?. Just my luck, I will be in New York I a couple of weeks and was hoping to travel on some F units.

Nick

by FL9

no. 833 is in Phase V. Do these units already have ACSES? Will anything else need to be done to get them into service, an overhaul perhaps?

by boston774

Are these the units that AMTRAK had in storage for four or five years?

by 9C1LT1

I don't think they were in storage that long, they worked in Springfield when Amtrak stopped using the F-40's in 2001 or 2002. They are the first order of Genesis built in 1993. I know this was asked already, but does anyone know if the P-40 Genesis will replace the F-units on shuttles?? Anyway I'll have to get some more photos of the F's working!

-Barry

by DutchRailnut

yes they are supose to replace the F units and the GP40-2h

by 7 Train

Most likely Shore Line East.

by DutchRailnut

They are gone be used on SLE and Waterbury and Danbury branch trains.
the GP40-2h's will be used on SLE service only and possible power for springfield line
  by nh chris

Isn't it time for MN to arrange a "goodbye to the Fs" railfan trip? I mean, it's going to be a bit more important for the last revenue trips of F units, than the last trips of the NYC ACMUs.

Or am I all wet?

NH Chris

by Otto Vondrak

You're all wet. Why is one more important than the other? Besides, this thread is for discussion of the arrival of the P40's. Please start another thread if you want to talk about possible excursions (which I think have been discussed elsewhere).

by DutchRailnut

Here is some more info from another board, its not verified but the source is very reliable, I don't know what OTOL is so domn't ask me.

Update on the Leasing Situation. According to OTOL here's how the lease units are being broken up:

TO MNRR 833, 834, 836, 838, 840, 841
TO SLE 842, 843

So with the exception of the 835 and 832 all of the former Auto Train power is now on lease.

by RedSoxSuck

Is it a possibility that a P40 will be used on the Wassaic shuttle in order to free up a P32 for use into the city?

I do understand that doing this takes a P32 away from Southeast, which means that there is no safety net in case one of the 4 P32s breaks down...
Well, as a last resort, they could make pax transfer to Ms at SE or NWP...