Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Swedish Meatball

I don't think you will see the P40's on the Wassaic portion, seeing as these were purchased by CDOT. I know that CDOT and the MTA do share equipment. It was just a few months age that they had more VRE coaches than they had engines, and now the opposite is true. Does anyone know if CDOT has retrofitted the VRE cab cars yet?

by DutchRailnut

Their not purchased their leased, 6 for MNCR pool service and two for SLE see numbers above.
yes you will see them in Wassaic as it will free P32acdm's for mainline service on New Haven.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:Here is some more info from another board, its not verified but the source is very reliable, I don't know what OTOL is so domn't ask me.
OTOL is On Track On Line, a railroad site that has one of the best (if not the best) public roster of Amtrak gear.

Nester

by AmtrakFan

boston774 wrote:Are these the units that AMTRAK had in storage for four or five years?
No these were the P40's running that were in Auto Train Service

by DutchRailnut

Last night at about 7pm HHP-8 654 came of the Hellgate Branch with 4 P40's for New Haven.
Numbers 836-838-841-834, number 833 was in New Haven for few weeks already

by ANDY117

is 838 still in the OPPORTUNITY RESPONSIBILITY COMMUNITY paint?

by FL9

No, its currently wearing the latest Phase V paint.

by DutchRailnut

Today the 833 ran test trains on New Haven with just a Cabcar. after completion of test 833 and cab car went to Harmon.

by Otto Vondrak

Six P40's on the property... that's the death knell for the F-unit fleet.

Besides testing for clearance, do these units require any other inspection or upgrades before performing in Metro-North service? How similar are they to the P32's currently in service? With the arrival of a new locomotive model, is there a bit of a learning curve for the mechanical forces?

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

A few things need to be modified, for example the straight dynamiic brake needs to be disabled, bail off feature on locomotive brake needs to be disabled, but retaining the blended brake feature, a door safety interlock and door light need to be installed.

The Genesis has no clearance issues, it was designed to fit anywere in North America, for Mech dept the engine is same just 4 cylinders more and a regular compressor.
For Electricians this is a straight DC locomotive just like the FL-9

by AmtrakFan

Otto,
2 more are still coming to the property.

by DutchRailnut

Reported that Amt 833 will make its debut on the Waterbury today.