• Farewell to PCC's on the Mattapan High-Speed Line?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

octr202 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:FOR REAL?!?! Damn that picture is scary! Please keep that far away from here. Is that a commuter rail line? Or the real El trains?

I know, I've also been there myself, on the Number 5 train (Ravenswood Brown Route) which mocks the Mattapan Line with those grade crossings, and they do look scary unlike here. And yes, it also looks like an MBCR Commuter Rail station, but it's an EL stop. Once upon a time, that line in the photo used to have catenary, similar to Metro-North's New Haven Line, but I doubt the MBTA will ever keep the catenary on Mattapan if the Rapid Transit were extended.
Now, why I didn't link this photo the first time, I don't know. Illustrates better.

We all have to keep in mind that the Blue Line communities were reluctant to simply have ground level third rail on that extension, so yes, I know that Mattapan would never happen this way. I guess its just me venting on what's just not possible here.

In short, we're stuck with the trolley line -- which is great for us railfans, but will no doubt become yet another challenge and potential bustitution when the PCCs finally reach the end of their second or third lives.
I've actually ridden on that line and saw the grade crossing and it was pretty cool to ride a rapid transit track crossing a public way. NYCTA has also a grade crossing at Rockaway Parkway on the Canarsie L but that road is only for NYCTA use only, that road leads to a yard.

I also like the grade crossings we have at the Mattapan Line, note that both of them are at Milton at Central Ave and Capen Street.

by Ron Newman

The Green Line "D" crosses a walking path somewhere in Newton, not at a station stop. I think it's inside a golf course.

by octr202

Ron Newman wrote:The Green Line "D" crosses a walking path somewhere in Newton, not at a station stop. I think it's inside a golf course.
Its a pathway in the Hammond Pond Reservation (ex MDC, now DCR I believe, "nature perserve"). Only a foot crossing.

Now, the amusing part -- apparently the T's operating rules require every train to slow to 10 mph across the crossing. Most actually seemed to stop briefly when I was riding the line a lot a few years back. Hardly ever saw any pedestrians crossing. Kinda maddening when the setup makes all those trains stop in the middle of what is otherwise a 50 mph straightaway. :(

by -Garrett

This is becuase school classes often do field trips there (as mine did, back in 1983). That being the case, I'd rather have a train come to a full stop, rather than something nasty happen.