Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by harryguy082589

Can they just switch off destinations? Every third (random number) rush hour train goes to 33rd? Just look at the lit-up markings on the side of the car to figure out where it is going?
  by amtrakhogger

I wondered the same question, since I sometimes come into NY for an early s/u. It usually takes me nearly one hour on the to go from Newark or Harrison to 33rd Street. I think it is kind of ridiculous to take that long. But usually my luck would always have it that when I take the WTC train to JSQ, my 33rd Street train is late inbound due to "police activity" or something else, so I have to wait an extra 10-20 minutes.

Having direct service would be nice, but again, it would be a duplication of NJT/Amtrak service. I am sure if it was worthwhile, then the service would have been running a long time ago.

by harryguy082589

Ok, lets change the name of this thread to "direct service to [Christopher, 9th, 14yh, 23rd] street from newark"

by PONYA

The trains would still have to run to 33rd Street stub terminal to head back to Newark in the downtown tunnel.

Basically its a capacity issue in the tunnels from junctions east of Hoboken and Pavonia. Remember post Sept 11 crowds boarding at the tiny stations at Christopher and 9th for the 32 minute ride to Newark.

Something like 18 trains operate between Journal Square/33rd and Hoboken/33rd which is near capacity for the DC power draw for the third rail, not to spike (shutdown) in the uptown tunnels when delays occur and trains are close to each other. The trains are already traveling slow in the uptown due to signaling requirements, so reduced speed is not an issue in DC power draw.