• Engines facing different directions?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by ad-timms

call me a dumb blonde but can anyone explain why you see trains being pulled by several engines facing different directions?

by UPRR engineer

Because it doesnt matter which way there facing, they work the same no matter what. Theres a big cable (MU cable... multi unit) which you plug all the units together, kinda like stringing christmas lights together.

by Rockin' Roller

If you have the engines on each end facing opposite directions, when you get to where you are going and change directions, the lead engine is facing the right way.

by Gerry6309

THIS IS ABOUT THE THIRD TIME THE DUMB BLONDE HAS POSTED THAT SAME INQUIRY!

If you don't follow up your own posts - you never see the answer. :(

by Gadfly

How many of you have ever crossed the couplers thru the little hatch door in the nose of an E8 at 65 MPH? This is, of course, on a passenger train and when they were nose to nose. :wink:

Gadfly

by rrboomer

Gadfly:

When I was a newby fireman I did the nose-to-nose crossing once at 90mph. It was kind of neat how efficiently everything was extracted from top pockets of my bibs. Thank God the watch fob didn't break.

by Gadfly

It's for the "foamers" to dream about! LOL! The actual crossing isn't all that hard, but ya gotta stay alert! :-)

Gadfly