• Engine Repaints.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Mr GP10

Now that the 156 is repainted, are there any other engines to follow suit or is this just a "test"?

by emfinite

I heard somewhere that 9321 is next.

Joe

by badneighbor

C'mon Joe... sneak your CIA miniature camera into Fresh Pond... get us a photo...

by Legio X

I saw 156 W/B through Mineola with 271 this afternoon around 1 pm. Just the engines running light. There were no empties or loads to go west with these engines today?

by tushykushy

Hmmm

Last I was told, which was ever so recently from a NYAR engr was that 156 still didn't have ASC.

by Long Island 7285

NO ASC it can still be used as extra power, No ACS cant lead. or of it did has to stay below 30mph.

by Scrap em Again

No ASC from initial terminal when travelling in, or will be entering ASC territory, no lead period! When the speed control fails enroute, you may get permission from the dispatcher to cut the non-complying ASC out. Then you may run at 40 mph provided you have absolute blocks. You may then run to the nearest point to clear the main, or to your final destination, provided 204 can handle you. This speed only applys to light engines or freight trains. Passenger equipment will usually run at 60 MPH.

by Legio X

The 156 and 271 were running light. 271 was leading, long-hood forward, so I guess 156 was having difficulties and was being pulled back to Fresh Pond?

by Scrap em Again

Yep you wont find 156 leading anywhere just yet, it is used strictly in trail as a boosting unit. It is a pain for the crew as you have to run around your train, plus you have to run around the 156 also. Usually the crew will take one engine and deal with it rather than do 2 steps mentioned. But with the 271 running unreliably, the 156 goes out for power only, while 271 goes in lead for its ASC.
In the words of our ever-wise yardmaster, "Its like j....ing off in the dark" :wink:

by Lirr168

emfinite wrote:I heard somewhere that 9321 is next.

Joe
Apparently you're not the only one; I came across this today:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=129417

by Scrap em Again

What source do you guys get this from? As of now it is anybodys guess as what will be repainted next. Once it gets warmer engines will be painted about 1 every 3 months. I spoke to the Superintendant and he has no clue as to what is repainted next.

by Lirr168

Scrap em Again wrote:What source do you guys get this from? As of now it is anybodys guess as what will be repainted next. Once it gets warmer engines will be painted about 1 every 3 months. I spoke to the Superintendant and he has no clue as to what is repainted next.
I simply offered that picture as a confirmation of what emfinite had suggested, I have no idea where Mr. Zmudzinski (the photographer) gets his information from. I am, however, inclined to believe him because he frequently posts pictures taken in restricted areas of NY&A property, which leads me to believe he has some sort of inside connection.

by emfinite

I think Scrap could give us more of a heads-up than that guy...

Joe

by John 61

I saw that photo too and wondered why they would waste time painting a yard switcher that looks in decent paint before painting a road unit or the 101 or 105. I'll take "Scrap em's" (Tom's) heads up any time. He was right about the 159 yesterday 1-21-06 and I also took him up on his #201 info on the Stone Train in the summer of 2004 ( the death run :( ). He was right on the money on both accounts! :-D

by Legio X

Anything new with repainting the roster like 156, or are they going to come up with something different for the GP38-2's?