• Empire Tunnel in PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by historicRRfreak

Wow, all those sayings about life coming at you fast are true. I haven't posted here in a while. Anyway, I have a photo of the Clarion River Railway bridge over Rails to Trails, Toby Creek, and the B&P. Do you still want to see it?
I'm a school teacher, so I'd be willing to bike with you and explain the Clarion River Railway. I am a member of the Brockway Area Historical Society, too. Let me know...
  by Malley

Holy Lazarus, old thread come to life.
'freak, let me know what you have in mind on your guided tour.
Thnx
Malley
  by historicRRfreak

We could meet at the Croyland trail access for Rails to Trails and either bike the 10 miles to Hallton, or if you want to drive it, that's fine too. We could hike the entire stretch, but that would take the majority of a day. Plus I don't know what it's like to hike the grade in the summer. Heck, we could canoe the Clarion and stop at the various points of interest along the way. I have a canoe, so let me know what you think.
There are several ghost towns along the way. The first town we hit would be Portland Mills, which is really the only town that survived (because of how close it is to Ridgway). They had a huge sawmill and a tannery. After Portland mills is Beech Bottom at which they dammed the Clarion and then Arroyo, with amazing remains of its tannery. Beyond Arroyo is Lily Pond, a raft-building location without any foundations, and then Irwintown with mill dam remains on Irwin Run. The last town is Hallton, with a few houses, sawmill foundation, and chemical plant remains up Spring Creek. If you are interested in stopping at each of these locations, we should definitely canoe or drive.
  by Malley

'freak, that sounds great. I'm a retired teacher, and I'm not adverse to riding a bike. I've got some friends who might be interested as well.
We saw some of the bike trail on the far side of Toby, tho' it's been long enough that it isn't clear in my head.
Can we PM on here, for phone numbers or E-addresses?
Thnx,
Malley