• Empire Builder leads long distance OT performance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CNJ

And that's just a small example of what could be possible if the money is available to expand our national passenger rail system (i.e. the "big picture"). Such planning must be done with a 2004 railroad map and the latest census data, not the 1955 official guide.[/quote]

See that????

You did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by RMadisonWI

CNJ wrote:See that????

You did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I guess I did, buddy, whatever "it" is.

But since you asked earlier, I guess the best way that I like to define my interest is as an advocate of effective and efficient mass transportation policy, at all levels (e.g. local, regional, national, etc.). This advocacy is regardless of mode.

I advocate expanded bus service locally (a rail system would be nice, too), plus a Metra extension to Milwaukee. I'd like to see high-speed rail systems build around the country, but funded out of the highway budget rather than Amtrak's budget. I support Amtrak by riding it, as well as occasionally writing my elected officials (who generally vote in favor of Amtrak funds) regarding my support.

Basically, I'll support almost anything but highways (and have advocated for removing highways within the city, as they don't do much but destroy the city).

But, keeping this on the topic of rail, I'd rather be riding a train than chasing one or photographing one. Sometimes, I will head down to the train station and watch the Empire Builder or the Hiawathas come and go, but I normally won't go out of my way to get down there unless there's a special occasion (such as the Empire Builder's recent 75th anniversary). There are better "railfanning" spots in the city to watch trains, but I don't bother going down there.

I don't know an E-unit from an F-unit, a GE from an EMD (unless we're talking P-42 vs. F-59). I don't give a darn about steam (unless I'm making hot chocolate). I actually think the Genesis looks good, and really like it in the current paint scheme (blue wave). I like the new Amtrak logo better than the old logo, and actually don't mind the name "Acela" and its logo on the Northeast (though, I will agree that "Acela Regional" using the same old equipment as the NortheastDirect was a bad idea, and don't like that all the stuff in the Northeast was branded "acela," often without any mention of "Amtrak"). In fact, I even liked the "lava lamp" paint scheme that some of the Amfleets carried for a while (are there any left?).

So, based on the above information, does that make me a railfan? I'll let you decide.

by Irish Chieftain

I guess the best way that I like to define my interest is as an advocate of effective and efficient mass transportation policy, at all levels (e.g. local, regional, national, etc.). This advocacy is regardless of mode
WADR, it sounds like you're in the wrong place, then. This is a forum about Amtrak. You can't be "regardless" of mode unless you are willing to take in the big picture.

by RMadisonWI

Irish Chieftain wrote:
I guess the best way that I like to define my interest is as an advocate of effective and efficient mass transportation policy, at all levels (e.g. local, regional, national, etc.). This advocacy is regardless of mode
WADR, it sounds like you're in the wrong place, then. This is a forum about Amtrak. You can't be "regardless" of mode unless you are willing to take in the big picture.
Perhaps I should modify that from "is regardless of mode," to "crosses modal boundaries." I'm not going to say that I'll advocate bus service from Chicago to LA equally with rail service. I meant that I will advocate bus service and rail service, and am not a "railroads only, don't care about anything else" advocate. If done effectively, buses and trains complement each other and make each other stronger (such as the Amtrak Thruway service).

by mattfels

Wow, I recognize myself, nearly point by point, in RMadisonWI's self-portrait.

My big priority is options. Since the air and highway options are well funded and pretty much built out, I advocate for measures that bring the passenger-train option even. Laying aside the question of who deserves what, it's clear that everybody benefits from having the widest variety of transportation options. More options mean better choices for every trip. For me it's not to take Amtrak on every trip, but to have Amtrak as an option for every trip. Or as many as possible.

Toward that end, I particularly like the project to put a train station at General Mitchell Field--thus making it Chicago's "third" airport. Whether Amtrak, Metra, or most likely both provide the service, it seems like a pure win. What's the latest?

by RMadisonWI

mattfels wrote:Toward that end, I particularly like the project to put a train station at General Mitchell Field--thus making it Chicago's "third" airport. Whether Amtrak, Metra, or most likely both provide the service, it seems like a pure win. What's the latest?
When I was waiting for the Empire Builder's on-time arrival in Milwaukee (thus bringing this somewhat back to the original purpose of this thread) on its 75th anniversary, I took a brief tour of the station, given by someone from the Wisconsin DOT (whose name I forget at the moment). He said they'd be breaking ground on the Amtrak station at Mitchell Airport pretty soon (by the end of the month), and it should be done by the end of the year.

Metra service is still a few years away, but would probably have a stop on the other side of the airport.

Etc

by Noel Weaver

Cutting back on any existing passenger service makes no sense at all to
me. Texas is one of the largest states in the nation and there is no reason
that the taxpayers of that state should not have existing services and a
lot more besides.
Commuter service is starting to take hold there as is light rail and I think
the powers to be will realize the value of passenger trains in that state
both short haul corridor and long distance.
The federal government needs to put a lot more pressure on all of the
freight railroads to get the existing passenger trains a better trip over
their lines. There is no excuse for side tracking everything, everywhere
for a tonnage freight train no matter what. The problems with the freight
railroads are contributing to Amtrak's shortage of equipment, high costs
of operations and people failing to make their connections as a result of
late trains. Maybe if Union Pacific, CSX and the other bad ones had to pay
a severe fine or major penalty every time they delay a passenger train,
they would find a way to do a better job.
Pulling off the Sunset because the Union Pacific will not properly handle
the train and most likely does not even want passenger trains on their
tracks is not the answer.
As for Florida, we have a scheme to build a high speed rail system, it was
forced on the state by a consititutional amendment in a major campaign.
In my opinion, this is not the way to go, Florida is something like
California and needs a system like California has. The existing freight
railroad lines could be expanded to two and even three tracks and new
locomotives and cars purchased for a fraction of the cost of building from
scratch a whole new system. The major areas that deserve to be
connected by a modern passenger rail system include Miami/Fort Lauderdale/the Palm Beaches, Tampa/St. Pete., Orlando, Jacksonville,
Tallahassee and probably Pensacola. At least three trains in each direction, morning, noon time and late afternoon for a starter.
In cases above where the state and feds have partnered in improvements,
the results have been dramatic.
Noel Weaver