• Emergency signage, new?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by bth8446

I was doing a late night walk and went past a crossing.
Something caught my eye that I thought wasn't there before (though, I've walked into furniture that I claimed was newly moved, yet
no 'footprints of the furniture being elsewhere). so for all I know the 'signs' were there and I'm taking notice for the first
time, but it did look new in terms of weathering.

Each crossing in my area has a blue sign with a unique alpha/numeric identifier. and also the name of the street that the crossing
spanned. AND a toll free 'emergency' number to call, i guess if there is an emergency rail issue (stuck vehicle in tracks, malfunctioning
gate...)

Just thought it was interesting, and wanted to know if these are indeed new, is it a SEPTA thing (hmmmm) or FRA or some other authorities
requirement (more likely)
  by GCarp

They are new. I noticed them in my area too.
I would guess they are a way to not only report fouled crossings but are also related to a heightened sense of security and asking for awareness of anything out of the ordinary.
  by PARailWiz

Similar signs in black and white have always been posted at crossings (or at least, have been for the last couple decades), although these sound like newer, more visible ones.

If you write down the unique crossing identifier, you can enter it here: http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofS ... ssing.aspx and look up lots of information on it.
  by askclifford

Anyone have a picture?
  by rslitman

These just popped up at the Bethayres pedestrian crossing a couple of weeks ago, too.
  by glennk419

I noticed them at the crossings on the Warminster line over the last several weeks as well.
  by MichaelBug

They're also at the Walnut St. crossing in North Wales along the Lansdale/Doylestown line.
  by Tritransit Area

I think they are about everywhere now. I've noticed one at the Rydal Road crossing on the West Trenton Line for some time now - maybe at least a month or so? I thought they were always there but I just never noticed them before.
  by ExCon90

I noticed one this afternoon at a CSX grade crossing where I pass frequently, and I'm sure it wasn't there a week ago. It fits the description in the first post; maybe there's a requirement somewhere in 49 CFR.
  by MichaelBug

I wonder if SEPTA is planning to post similar signs at the grade crossings along the Media & Sharon Hill trolley lines?
  by lirr42

Such signs have been visible on LIRR grade crossings for quite some time now (like this one in Long Island City). I always presumed it was some sort of FRA requirement to have some sor tof identifier on the crossing.
  by rslitman

PARailWiz wrote:Similar signs in black and white have always been posted at crossings (or at least, have been for the last couple decades), although these sound like newer, more visible ones.

If you write down the unique crossing identifier, you can enter it here: http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofS ... ssing.aspx and look up lots of information on it.
The sign for the pedestrian crossing at Bethayres doesn't have a crossing identifier. I did see what looked like one at the Rydal Road crossing, but I couldn't make out what it was from my car. I'll have to see if I can approach that one on foot and get it (without stepping on the tracks, of course).
  by Quinn

These caught my eye along the Media (railroad) line a few weeks back. Definitely something new.