• Electric Keystone service returns

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by chuchubob

It was reported that Keystone trains 642, 647, and 618 would operate as electric push-pulls beginning Monday Sept 11. I went to Ardmore to photograph train 647. Cab car 9638 was leading and AEM7 929 was pushing.

http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504347
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504348
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504355

http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504356
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504357
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=504358

by Jersey_Mike

Did there used to be an extra bridge just east of ardmore station?

by hsr_fan

Wow, never thought I'd see it! It's about time! :-D

by M&Eman

Does anyone know the running times of those trains that day? Were they early at all into Philly/Harisburg/NYC?

by gprimr1

The only part under wire is Harrisburg to Philidelphia right?

Does this spare up any diseil engines? Maybe we can finally have 2 engines on the silver service trains or maybe they can have some functional engines at New Heaven.

I wonder if Amtrak will ever work with MA and CT to electrify from New Haven to Springfield.

Anyway, enough thought. I think this was a perfect day to debute a new transit option.
  by jp1822

Sounds promising! Just hope they got enough dedicated equipment - electric motors and cab units! Will be happy to see the old PRR main from Harrisburg to Philly under electric motors once again! This should add some efficiency at Philly - no more change of equipment from diesel to electric, let alone better running times (hopefully!).

PS - did they turn the trainset in Harrisburg? When they operate through to NYC, I think they are going to have to turn the trainsets at Harrisburg, so as to maintain cab car forward on the Harrisburg-Philly portion of the line!

by jfrey40535

Its finally nice to see diesels banished from the Harrisburg line. I wonder if all cars were open for passengers. Usually Keystones are 3 coaches. This would be a nice improvement.

Anyone have any favorite railfanning spots West of Paoli? I think its time I take a drive to Lancaster to do some serious railfanning.

by Noel Weaver

gprimr1 wrote:The only part under wire is Harrisburg to Philidelphia right?

Does this spare up any diseil engines? Maybe we can finally have 2 engines on the silver service trains or maybe they can have some functional engines at New Heaven.

I wonder if Amtrak will ever work with MA and CT to electrify from New Haven to Springfield.

Anyway, enough thought. I think this was a perfect day to debute a new transit option.
I don't like to use the word "never" when it comes to railroad matters but I
think it is extremely unlikely that New Haven - Springfield will ever be
electrified. The diesels on that line do a decent job with the trains that
operate between Springfield and New Haven.
I don't think the present patronage nor the potential future patronage
justify the expense of electrification of this line.
Noel Weaver

by Wanderer

jfrey40535 wrote:Its finally nice to see diesels banished from the Harrisburg line.
Almost. Don't forget about The Pennsylvanian.

I caught 647 in Newark Penn. I did a double take when I saw the safety stripes on the hind car. Then I realized it was 9638. Sort of laughed to myself when a friend and employee informed me of what the deal was. Looks like I'll have to make a trip down that way to a move or two.

by chuchubob

jfrey40535 wrote:Its finally nice to see diesels banished from the Harrisburg line. I wonder if all cars were open for passengers. Usually Keystones are 3 coaches. This would be a nice improvement.
Only these trains 642, 647, and 618 are electric push-pull. The rest are still diesel.
  by Tom Curtin

Push pull electric operation opens the door to reducing the ridiculously long dwell time at 30th street. Let's hope this occurs to the powers-that-be.
  by jsc

This morning train #607 left 30th with 944 on point and a cab car on the tail. The train was not only quieter but accelerated faster geting us ahead of schedule at each stop. Furthermore, the engineer climbed down at each station and visually checked the pantograph to make sure everything was okay. This had the effect of padding the schedule a bit at each station to make sure we didn't get ahead of ourselves.

I was impressed by how much smaller an AEM7 is than a Genesis diesel, both in length and height. I was also impressed with how much quieter the whole train was without the diesel.

Trains are now regularly operating on tracks #2 and 3 which is a world of difference in ride quality between Paoli and Ardmore.

I'm hoping the new timetables will make use of the capabilities of the AEM7s and be tightened up. This has the effect of adding extra hours to my day...I can almost taste it.
  by jp1822

So is it cab leading the train between Phillu and Harrisburb and then electric motor (i.e. AEM7) leading between Philly and New York City? I assume they are not operating cab forward as head-end on the NEC, in order to get maximum speed out of the AEM7. I may be on one of these Keystone trains tonight. Will have to check it out!

by njtmnrrbuff

I believe that the fra won't allow Amtrak to run its cab cars into NY Penn station because of safety regulations. I believe that the cab cars will lead on the Keystone corridor. It's nice to see motors running on the line again. Yes, the diesels should be used as backups and if even on the LD trains south of Philly.

by hsr_fan

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I believe that the fra won't allow Amtrak to run its cab cars into NY Penn station because of safety regulations.
Huh? How is that any different from NJ Transit running into Penn with Comet III/IV/V cab cars leading?