• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

number7 wrote:Cosmo, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the "Friends" maintained the VRR track.
No harm, no foul. I was just clarifying.
number7 wrote:I have never heard a friend of mine who goes down there quite often mention them doing anything other than on their "own" track.

However, they do a nice job of maintaining the track that they use, including having to replace some stole iron, not that long ago as well as replacing ties.
Yeah, I know all about that incident. Incidentally, that was up on the OOS track, above Goodspeeds.
number7 wrote:They are most fortunate to have the use of that track and show their appreciation by keeping it in good shape.

The VRR is fortunate to have them keeping the ROW clear.
Absolutely.
I only clarified for the sake of fair comparison, however your earlier point still stands.
  by number7

Stolen iron is most unfortunate. I'm sure you remember the incident in the Taunton MA area where live iron was stolen out of an industrial spur.

I think a piece of iron was stolen from the Mountain Division and they replaced it with wood, in NH, near the Saco River.
  by Cosmo

Agreed, and I think I remember both incidents, or at least heard of them.
But let's get back to EDAville.
Yes, a volunteer group or even a small number of paid employees certainly could maintain 5.5 (rounded) of 2'ga. track.
  by number7

Apparently there must be some narrow gauge equipment around. This company is building a new narrow gauge tourist line in NY.

Unknown gauge.

http://www.littlefallstimes.com/news/x7 ... t-railroad

I see they purchased 18 miles of right of way.

Quite a difference from the less than 2 miles down in S. Carver.
  by MaineCoonCat

On careful examination of this locomotive photo with a magnifying glass, there appears to be some type of cog wheel in the center, almost directly below an imaginary centerline down through the smokestack... Hmmmm...???

Photo from: Steve Gross's "Frontier Town" http://www.frontiertown.net/
Photo Url: http://www.frontiertown.net/images/AAL_locomotive.jpg

I found some further information at the UC&SV's site. FWIW, Above where I said "smokestack", maybe I should've said "exhaust pipe" Image
Last edited by MaineCoonCat on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Cosmo

papabarn wrote:On careful examination of this locomotive photo with a magnifying glass, there appears to be some type of cog wheel in the center, almost directly below an imaginary centerline down through the smokestack... Hmmmm...???

Photo from: Steve Gross's "Frontier Town" http://www.frontiertown.net/
Photo Url: http://www.frontiertown.net/images/AAL_locomotive.jpg

I found some further information at the UC&SV's site.
That's weird! They must have had more than one loco, that one doesn't even look like an actual steam engine (from the running gear, or lack thereof.)
  by MaineCoonCat

Cosmo wrote:that one doesn't even look like an actual steam engine
Ummm, It's apparently an "infernal combustion replica"...
  by Cosmo

Which is odd, because I've seen video of an ACTUAL steam engine running out there in Rome.
  by steamer69

Not odd Pete, you are right. They ran steam there until the early 1990s when the Plymouth and Davenport "look alikes" got there. They stayed there until the end in 1998. I don't remember where the steam engine went.....anyone on here know?
  by MaineCoonCat

Cosmo wrote:Which is odd, because I've seen video of an ACTUAL steam engine running out there in Rome.
Must not've been this one... See the UC&SV's site at http://www.ucsvroute.com/frontier_town_train.htm. It's a Fate-Roots-Heath which apparently was the successor to the J.D. Fate Company, owner of the Plymouth Locomotive Works..
  by Cosmo

Ok,.... I was confusing "Frontier Town" in N. Hudson, NY with "Canal Village" in Rome.

(I feel silly.)
  by steamer69

No worries....lol.

Erie Canal is still running by the way...but I'm not sure if they ever got steam back. It's owner has one of the last remaining WWI 2' gauge Davenport trench locomotives (2-6-2) and at one time there was a home built (steam) engine and a 0-4-0 there....but I have no clue where the latter two are if they are in fact still not running any steam.
  by number7

It will be interesting to see what happens with this new supposed tourist railroad. It wouldn't surprise me if it fizzled. After looking at their website they seem to be reaching out in many directions. They also bought 30 lb rail which is very light, it will work but it shows that they're not putting any more money into it than they have to at this point. It looks like they're looking for investors.

Why a test track? Two foot gauge has already proven itself. We know that it works.

I don't have high hopes for this venture but I hope they're successful.
  by number7

One of the actions of the incompetents down in S. Carver that shows that they are totally clueless is their removal of most of the character of the railroad.

Character takes time to build. You can't just put down track and have character. The track has to work its way into the surroundings, it needs to age. Buildings age, furniture ages.

Edaville was full of character. Within the yard limits there were lots of sidings, old equipment, the turntable, water tower, the old engine house, the bypass track, etc.

That character would take a good amount of time to replace if it can be replaced at all.

Cranberry Jct station should have been repaired, not torn down. It was a very attractive station with plenty of character and history.

The water tower should have been repaired. The job of the water tower isn't go water the train as much as it is to add flavor and character to the railroad. Watering the train can be done with a standpipe. A standpipe has no character or railroad flavor.

No one in their right mind would have filled in the turntable pit. A new bridge should have been installed. Whether or not they ever use it is not the issue, it's the character and flavor that we are looking for.

No one who belongs in the railroad business would have torn up a single inch of track. All track adds flavor and character to the railroad. Even out of service track, half buried. It shows what used to be and thus has value.

The failure to replace the narrow gauge static displays and place them along the path from the entrance like before shows that the people running the show now are totally unqualified for their jobs and are in over their heads.

Narrow gauge static displays add character and flavor to the railroad and make the visit much more interesting. It's true that they have a token static display or two but that just doesn't cut it.

From a business point of view, having people pass through a gift shop on their way out is a good idea.

So, what made Edaville Edaville? The nice ride around the reservoir. The steam engines, the authentic Maine two foot equipment, the Chicken BBQ, the static displays, many narrow gauge, the old equipment, the sidings, Cranberry Jct station greeting you at the entrance, the working signal system. The nice walk from the entrance to the train with plenty of static displays of various types to look at. The Flying Yankee, the 1455. Both historic. Guardrail Curve, The Woods, Mt Urann, the original Peacedale, the view of the Atwood Reservoir from all sides, the smell of the water in the summer, the nice breeeze. All gone. Peacedale was replaced with Putzdale.

I imagine it must be tough to work there now. Most people probably have sore necks from hanging their heads in shame.

Anyone with a clue, if there are any, would constantly feel the need to apologize for the senseless destruction that has taken place under their watch.