• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by number7

Thanks Papabarn. Good topo map.
  by number7

I found this article that talked about an old ladder fire truck that used to be down at Edaville.

I don't remember seeing that truck down there. I know they had a pumper and used it to give kids rides on in the 70's.

Does anyone remember this truck?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /202230317
  by MaineCoonCat

An early milepost in Edaville's history..

From the February 1955 edition of "Cranberries".
archived at:
http://ia600200.us.archive.org/3/items/ ... 55port.pdf.
  by Narrowgauger

Hi...
I was just wondering if its possible to get to the original right of way to get some shots before its all pulled up? With the price of scrap rail, im sure its not gonna be there for long.
Thanks
  by number7

I am not sure of the legalities but you can go in the far end up by where the station was originally. It's easy to find the right of way and walk it until you see the tracks. There are a couple of miles of iron, maybe a bit less, on the spur.

If you look back in this long thread you will see some pictures taken by someone who went in from that end.

Good luck, take plenty of pictures.
  by NErailfan

Does anyone know about what year they stopped using the railroad for cranberry service? Did they stop because trucks were a little easier?
  by number7

I suspect it was right after Atwood's death, about 1950.

The railroad was Atwood's baby and I suspect that the cranberries were more of an excuse than a reason for getting the railroad equipment.

Thus whether or not the railroad was a better way of doing things didn't really matter, it was the way Atwood wanted to do it, and being a railfan, it makes sense.

After he died, all of that would have gone away.

I have never seen any mention of the railroad being used for anything other than tourists after his death.
  by MaineCoonCat

Ellis D's obituary from the Dec 1950 edition of "Cranberries". This will probably raise more questions than it answers. Multiple posts due to attachment size limitations. Here's the first page [attached].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MaineCoonCat

Second page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MaineCoonCat

Third Page
  by number7

Thanks Papabarn, that was most interesting. I see his lawyer friend Urann wrote a tribute. I had read elsewhere that Mt. Urann was named after a lawyer friend of Atwoods.
  by steamer69

I was told by a friend that Edaville is putting together a RFP for "new" steam, and is looking for more. Anyone confurm or deny this? It would show quite a big shift in the future of the railroad IMO.
  by NErailfan

steamer69 wrote:I was told by a friend that Edaville is putting together a RFP for "new" steam, and is looking for more. Anyone confirm or deny this? It would show quite a big shift in the future of the railroad IMO.
Sorry for my lack of acronym's here but RFP?

On there Facebook page there was mention of new steam for the 2013 season... They also said there would be more updates on steam development as time went on.
  by MaineCoonCat

NErailfan wrote:
steamer69 wrote:I was told by a friend that Edaville is putting together a RFP for "new" steam, and is looking for more. Anyone confirm or deny this? It would show quite a big shift in the future of the railroad IMO.
Sorry for my lack of acronym's here but RFP?

On there Facebook page there was mention of new steam for the 2013 season... They also said there would be more updates on steam development as time went on.
Request For Proposal.