• Does anyone know where this "Trolley Graveyard" is located?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Vakharn

Well that is disappointing, I assumed due to the preponderance of MBTA equipment that it was somewhere in Massachusetts. Does anyone know more specifically where in NJ it is located?
  by dieciduej

Na, na on the NJ answer! This was answered later in the Vintage High Res Pictures Discussion post.

The location is actually Windber PA, those are part of a group of 14 MBTA wartime PCCs that were sold to a company called Vintage Electric Streetcar back in 1991. They also own PCCs from SEPTA, PAT, and GCRTA. You can see a yellow ex-GCRTA Shaker car in the photo with the Boston cars. Their business plan was to buy used PCCs at scrap prices and resell them later. So far, they have been sitting there for 20 plus years with no takers.

You can see them on Google maps:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1400+Som ... 15963&z=19

JoeD
  by Vakharn

Just south of Johnstown, why am I not surprised? Thank you dieciduej, next time I'm out at the Station Inn I'll have to pop down there and have a look at them.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

dieciduej wrote:Na, na on the NJ answer! JoeD
Thank you,
My memory wanted to say PA, but I searched to make sure and found that , now, incorrect answer.

Again,
Thank you.
  by dieciduej

RussNelson wrote:San Francisco still uses PCC cars.
We still have 10 on the Mattapan High Speed Line. Biggest problem is those at the Vintage Electric Streetcar in PA have been in the bush for awhile so they would need major work.

JoeD
  by RussNelson

dieciduej wrote:
RussNelson wrote:San Francisco still uses PCC cars.
We still have 10 on the Mattapan High Speed Line. Biggest problem is those at the Vintage Electric Streetcar in PA have been in the bush for awhile so they would need major work.
I'm hoping against hope that that large building holds the PCCs which are in the best condition. And for the ones stored outside, why, I expect that if they haven't been vandalized, they're probably in decent shape. One hopes that the VES folks were sensible, and charged up bearings with grease &etc.

I put their tracks into OpenStreetMap, but you really need to see it on an aerial photo (which OSM doesn't have) in order to appreciate it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.23 ... 21&zoom=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by caduceus

It looks like 4 of them at the front of the property are on their sides :(
  by TomNelligan

RussNelson wrote: And for the ones stored outside, why, I expect that if they haven't been vandalized, they're probably in decent shape.
Probably not, unfortunately. PCCs were made from carbon steel and after 20+ years of exposure to the elements with no maintenance they're probably rusted through in places. Plus, if the photographer could get inside, it would seem likely that others with less benign intentions could as well. Sad.
  by ExCon90

The Market Street Railway organization in San Francisco (http://www.streetcar.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has been looking for PCCs that could be made usable for the F line (which itself is due for a short extension in the next few years). I think it likely that they have looked at these and thrown up their hands. I know from their publication that it costs a bundle just to restore a PCC for heavy daily service when it's relatively well preserved to begin with.