Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

Hi, Its just an observation, but it seems like the exteriors on the new M7 cars are very dirty. I know they are running them like crazy, but whats the cycle time for a car to hit the car wash rack?

by de402

its called budget cuts?
  by N340SG

From what I have heard, the Babylon car wash has been busted for some time now.
Typically, not as much car washing is done over the Winter, but it would have picked up again in Spring.
Car washing is one of the things that is listed in cutback list. I do not think that is the reason as of today, however. Clemuel probably knows more about that. Even if they do want to cut back, wash the damn things once in a blue moon, at least.
It's interesting to see a pair of M-7s with 400 numbers followed by a pair of 100s numbered M-7s. Gleaming, shiny stainless steel, then brown/gray dull filth...On a new fleet...How sad. :(
  by LIengineerBob

N340SG wrote:From what I have heard, the Babylon car wash has been busted for some time now. :(
Right now the Babylon car wash is one GIGANTIC pigeon coop. They'll need a few jack hammers, the EPA and Super Fund site money to clean that thing up!!
Whats the story with the new car wash they built in KO??

I agree it's disgusting to look at all the new m-7's running around that are filthy. Anyone notice the interiors are not in much better shape either?? I sure wish I had the contract that sold the railroad duct tape!!

by Long Island 7285

selling the LIRR duct tape, dam you would be rich. :-D

does the MTA (NYS) have stock in duct tape..
Last edited by Long Island 7285 on Wed May 11, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Long island Joe

Thank You MTA For Your Great Work Yea Right

by Clemuel

All the car washes are out of service for one thing or another. The M-7's are started to rust as a result of not being cleaned, and the manufacturer is telling the Railroad it is not a warranty issue.

It's gonna take some real strong chemical to get the rust off.

Talks are underway to get the washes working again.

Clem

by H.N.I.C.

I was told by an informed source that the a LIRR is deliberately not washing the new cars in order to test the resiliency of the stainless steel.

The steel was made in China, and since they produce the finest, most highest quality products, the Chinese mill wanted to perform the test.

On the same subject, the steel was specified to be washed with finely ground walnut shells mixed in with a kerosine based solvent in order to scrub the steel. What was apparently an oversight, the U.S. EPA does not allow kerosine to be drained into the ground like they can do in China. So a new solvent has to be found.

The LIRR I hear, is in the process of purchasing a new car wash in Babylon and may install one in Brooklyn as well once the issue of the proposed stadium is resolved.

- Publius

by bluebelly

Clemuel wrote:All the car washes are out of service for one thing or another. The M-7's are started to rust as a result of not being cleaned, and the manufacturer is telling the Railroad it is not a warranty issue.

It's gonna take some real strong chemical to get the rust off.

Talks are underway to get the washes working again.

Clem

That is incorrect on both counts. I go through the wash in the Advance Yard everyday and it works just fine. In addition a roustabout crew is drilling MUs through the Advance Yard wash just about everyday, (yes it has 3rd rail ) and they have been doing so for quite some time,at least 10 months. Two sets of M7s went through today while I was there.
A bunch of us have been discussing this at work . The M7s may not getting washed as often as they should but they are getting washed and they should not look as bad as they do. The two sets we saw go through today still looked like crap after being washed. The 30 year old M1/M3s are getting washed no more frequently and they look as good if not better then the brand new 7s. .
If you are correct regarding the manufacture's postion then the RR is getting the shaft. Stainless steel should not rust regardless off how often or not they are cleaned. Nor should they reguire special chemicals to keep them clean. In fact they should not even need soap. That is the whole point of having stainless steel carbodies. The C3s are being washed by the same car wash and the steel still looks they they did when they were new. They way these things look the RR may as well have ordered them may out of regular steel and painted them.

by Clemuel

Sorry Blue,

The wash at Babylon has no power and the Railroad is fighting with LIPA over the cost of running a new cable to it. KO has been down for months, and may be going back on line if it hasn't already.

Guess you're right about the Advance Yard. Haven't been there in awhile.

As Tom told us several months ago, the stainless on the M-1's is of much better quality than that on the M-7's. Stainless resistance to corrosion is a function of the amount of carbon in the steel. If not kept clean, acids in the atmosphere and dirt can cause rust. At least that's what I'm told.

Hay, maybe the stuff will rust out on its own -- even with good washing. It all depends on the quality of the steel. But keeping it cvlean will help and the appearance of the fleet is partly due to the reduction in cleaning caused by the non-working washes.

Thanks for the correction, Belly.

Clemuel

by bluebelly

Well Clem then I guess the RR got the shaft, because they look like crap and they shouldn't (and it reflects poorly on us.) Well at least they blend in with the rest off the electric fleet. Maybe its time to go back to dark gray with orange ends and stripes. You have to get on top of the Harold Protects to see the dirt on them, as opposed to the M7s on which you can see the dirt from orbit.
I hope the stainless steel used in that monstrousity they built over Jamica is of better quality.
Last edited by bluebelly on Wed May 11, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Long Island 7285

I hope so too.

by de402

how the hell is the KO washer OOS? its brand spankin new! As for the crappy steel, the TA got the shaft too on the Bomb R142As, they don't keep that clean either (their KA 142s do though).

by Long Island 7285

Guys were talking about the world famous New York State MTA. If they actually cleaned the new equipment it would be a miracle. I will not be surprised to see the M7s ran to shit in a few years; full of duct tape scratchitti advertisement adhesive stuck on the trains, and pen markings drawn on the trains.

So when they want to perchance those well rumored M9s; maybe we the people of New York should put a stop to it till the MTA can prove that they can take care of the new M7’s and keep them clean and not full of filth.

When will we be hearing the commuters’ campaign complaining about “M7 Filth” they have one bout Diesel filth from the old equipment witch was totally a disgrace when it came to cleanliness but it’s still the topic about FILTH on the LIRR. It’s unacceptable.

by Lirr168

H.N.I.C. wrote:I was told by an informed source that the a LIRR is deliberately not washing the new cars in order to test the resiliency of the stainless steel.

The steel was made in China, and since they produce the finest, most highest quality products, the Chinese mill wanted to perform the test.
Are you high?! I mean, the MTA is full of morons, but there is no way they would purposely let their brand new cars rust as an experiment for a Chinese steel mill. Come on.