• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

I assume they’ll probably leave that as is since minus the fact it could use some new ties and the signal flags aren’t physically attached to it, it seems fine.
  by CR7876

JohnFromJersey wrote: I know the idea is to have a wye, which has two turnouts, but I am wondering, are they going to rebuild the existing turnout from the SOUS, or will they keep that?
A wye has three turnouts.
  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:28 pm Wonder why they didn’t just completely fill the space between the stop lines with that.
Good question. Though I did not find a USDOT standard, these two study documents also appear to not have the markings within the gauge. https://railroads.dot.gov/sites/fra.dot ... _FINAL.pdf and http://nebula.wsimg.com/c55280489b043f0 ... oworigin=1
  by Bracdude181

Interesting study there. Would like to see how people in Lakewood would behave with those markings at all the crossings.

As to why it’s not in the gauge, it seems like it’s meant more to mark the space the train takes up outside the gauge, implying that you should stay at least that far back. Hopefully it also takes dragging equipment into account.

Was also curious to see both ends of the crossing covered in ballast. Perhaps to try and keep water out to a certain extent? That type of crossing construction is a little more susceptible to water damage than precast panel crossings, especially when not properly sealed with tar on each end.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:While we’re asking questions…
Heard BDRV 1202 is coming back from MDDE soon. Any chance we will see it around here?
According to a post on Facebook in the DCR page, 1202 is heading for Three Bridges.
  by JohnFromJersey

Saw a truck dropping off what seemed like rails at the Southard Rd crossing. I wonder if Fairfield - Yellobrook or Southard - Adelphia Rd is first, or if they will have multiple crews working on these multiple sites at once
  by JohnFromJersey

Crews are starting work at Yellowbrook Rd towards Fairfield Rd.

There is some new rail and other stuff at Southard Ave's crossing.
  by CharlieL

Signs are up on Yellowbrook rd: to be closed at rr crossing 6/19. Looks like the roadbed prep they are doing there headed west is only for the crossing.
  by Sir Ray

Haven't been in that area for several years, but viewing Google Street, did they move the Stavola plant entrance sign, as visually that sign looks to be within the track loading gauge (unless they move the track/ROW a bit to the East)?
  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:32 am Signs are up on Yellowbrook rd: to be closed at rr crossing 6/19. Looks like the roadbed prep they are doing there headed west is only for the crossing.
When are they going to do Fairfield Rd, Adelphia Rd, and Southard Ave? I assume Southard Ave is to happen soon, given that they are dropping off a fair amount of material at its crossing.

Strange that there's been no development between Fairfield and Yellowbrook Rd. I assume that will occur in July.