• Death on the tracks in Middlefield MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by uugh

Thought people might want to know this, didn't see it posted anywhere else:

http://www.masslive.com/news/republican ... tml#187000

When you hear "Hiker, Middlefield, and Train" in one sentence you can probably figure out that the incident occured at the historic keystone arches. Its too bad. I was going to head down that way after the foliage had passed and snap some more pics of the arches, I wonder if they will close the place off or at least patrol it with greater hostility. It is not necessary to walk on the tracks there anyways (unless you are checking out some of the slightly less magnificent arches).

Its too bad...

by Lincoln78

"xxx was standing on the eastbound track adjusting his pack while a train passed on the westbound tracks, Hanna said, and apparently never heard the second train approaching behind him"

My condolences..but...what was he thinking? He wouldn't have done that on a street.
  by CSX Conductor

uugh wrote:I wonder if they will close the place off or at least patrol it with greater hostility.
Haha, doubt it.

by CSX Engineer 98

Nobody ever considers what the Engineer goes through...I know first hand

by New Haven 1

Unfortunately, because this fool was stupid enough to be standing on the tracks, I wouldn't be surprised if the area becomes at least more restricted if not closed off. I have been there many times and, there is absolutely no excuse for being near the tracks let alone on them. What's worse, is the trauma the poor train crew is going to have to live with for the rest of their lives. Message to any other "Adventurers" out there. The slogan Operation Lifesaver promotes regarding grade crossings applies to ANYWHERE on the tracks. When it's a "Tie", YOU LOSE!

by CSX Conductor

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:Nobody ever considers what the Engineer goes through...I know first hand
I do, especially after hearing about situations like yours. :(

by BayColony1706

Yes, I agree, its sad when someone loses their life, but the old saying goes, "ALWAYS EXPECT A TRAIN IN ANY DIRECTION ON ANY TRACK".
People will never learn. Kinda makes me sad thinking how absolutely stupid some members of society are these days..

by Ron Newman

Is this an area where hiking trails cross the tracks (as they do near Walden Pond in Concord, MA)?

by octr202

Ron Newman wrote:Is this an area where hiking trails cross the tracks (as they do near Walden Pond in Concord, MA)?
Now there's a place that scares me (Walden), with people walking right across or next to fairly high-speed tracks.

by Red Wing

Now there's a place that scares me (Walden), with people walking right across or next to fairly high-speed tracks.
Tell me about it. On a busy weekend I patrol that area heavily kicking people off the tracks. I even had a guy set up his chair in the ROW because "I'm from Lincoln." The only person I know that was hit there was a suicide.

by Lincoln78

I grew up in Lincoln. People there are above the laws of physics (and common sense).

That section of the Fitchburg line has some pretty long straight sections (I recall only about five curves in ~6? miles from Weston-Lincoln line to Concord Center), including a long straight stretch at Walden.

There is lots of warning to remove your chair from the ROW when a train is coming.

by Red Wing

There may be lots of warning to remove chairs from the ROW but it is still against the law according to:
MGL Chapter 160: Section 218 http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/160-218.htm

Why play with the nerves of the engineer anyway.

by Lincoln78

I've led a happy life being ignorant of the full verbiage of that law.

They should add a section authorizing law enforcement -ok, anybody, to taser any person who sits in a lawn chair on an active ROW. Especially when surrounded by a state park and conservation land.

by CSX Conductor

Ron Newman wrote:Is this an area where hiking trails cross the tracks (as they do near Walden Pond in Concord, MA)?
Sorry for the delay Ron, had troubles logging on to RR.net. To answer your question, no, not really. The old main-line parallels the current main in many spots and people are always walking the old stone bridges and other trails, but I've never had any problems up there.

by BayColony1706

Are we going to go through THIS again?
Bottom line unless you are a railroad employee or authorized by the railroad to be on the tracks, it is illigal, in mass, anyone doing so is subject to legal recorse. 'Nuff said.