• Death on the tracks in Middlefield MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CSX Conductor

You know I agree with this BayColony, but sadly things have changed way too much and the "You were trespassing, too bad!" line won't fly anymore. Instead the management is quicker than ever to pull tapes and see what the crew was doing at the time of the incident in case any legal matters arise so they can place blame there. I know CSX Engineer98 will very strongly agree with me since they did that to him. :(

by Ron Newman

Regarding Walden Pond: I believe the town of Lincoln's official hiking and ski trail map shows the trails crossing the railroad tracks.

by octr202

Ron Newman wrote:Regarding Walden Pond: I believe the town of Lincoln's official hiking and ski trail map shows the trails crossing the railroad tracks.
I was just there a few hours ago, in fact.

The state property at Walden Pond (on the north side of the tracks) and the Lincoln property to the south) both have trails that go up to the edge of the ROW. On the Walden side, there is a sign at the end of the fence that runs along a stretch of the ROW on the north side that says "Walden Pond" with an arrow, seemingly inviting anyone who wants to across the tracks. On the Lincoln side, there are sins fromt he Lincoln Conservation Commission greeting anyone who walks across the tracks from Walden.

On the tracks, there is no official crossing of any kind -- you're walking on the ballast stepping over the rail to get across. No fence, no "no tresspassing" signs at all. Its frankly not clear whether its meant to be a crossing or not.

We hiked up to the tracks from 117, thru the Lincoln trails. We turned around at the tracks and returned back south. While we took a break up there, we noticed a few groups approach the tracks -- about 1/3 ventured across, while the rest seemed to look at them, puzzled, and turned back to the side they came from.

Any time I've been there it's amazed me that its as open as it is.

by Lincoln78

As noted previously the Walden area is along a fairly long straight stretch so even people with below average common sense could cross safely. Trains move pretty quick through there.

I am a little surprised that there are not any warning signs or that the town supports a trail crossing "at grade". Lincoln had enough attorneys and engineers when I lived there. Maybe nobody from the railroad ever discussed this. I think the town still maintains an pretty independent attitude and figures people on the trails have enough sense not to get hit.

There is a footbridge over the ROW about two miles east of there (inbound) that the railroad must maintain as an easement for use of the property as a ROW. Not sure if the Codman farm still actively uses it. There are some nice trails in that area too.

by Red Wing

I've never asked park supervisor but I assume that there are easements across the tracks from the days when the Fitchburg and later B&M owned the land. At the places where the official trails cross the tracks the T painted the rails a blue and yellow color. Would that be an indication of a offical crossing?

by octr202

Red Wing wrote:I've never asked park supervisor but I assume that there are easements across the tracks from the days when the Fitchburg and later B&M owned the land. At the places where the official trails cross the tracks the T painted the rails a blue and yellow color. Would that be an indication of a offical crossing?
I did notice blue & yellow spray painted lines on the rails at that location. At the time, I didn't think they would have indicated a crossing, but were MOW markings of some kind.

by Ron Newman

Lincoln78 wrote:There is a footbridge over the ROW about two miles east of there (inbound) that the railroad must maintain as an easement for use of the property as a ROW.
If you mean the bridge about 1/2 mile west (outbound) from Lincoln station, it is very actively used by cross-country skiers whenever there is sufficient snow.

by CSX Engineer 98

octr202 wrote:
Red Wing wrote:I've never asked park supervisor but I assume that there are easements across the tracks from the days when the Fitchburg and later B&M owned the land. At the places where the official trails cross the tracks the T painted the rails a blue and yellow color. Would that be an indication of a offical crossing?
I did notice blue & yellow spray painted lines on the rails at that location. At the time, I didn't think they would have indicated a crossing, but were MOW markings of some kind.
Actually the Blue and yellow lines that you see on the ties of the right away are for Chemical weed spraying

by BrianS

[quote="CSX Engineer 98"]Nobody ever considers what the Engineer goes through...I know first hand[/quote]

Rgr that, Hit a guy in Brattleboro Vermont earlier this year, Didnt kill him, but nevertheless, It was at a grade crossing in front of people on a Sunday morning. Not a nice feeling standing over a body not knowing if he is dead or alive in front of stopped traffic.

B

by BrianS

[/quote]
I did notice blue & yellow spray painted lines on the rails at that location. At the time, I didn't think they would have indicated a crossing, but were MOW markings of some kind.[/quote]

That means utilities that cross under the tracks, such as phone, cable, fiber optic, ect

B

by CSX Engineer 98

On CSX the Track guys told me that the Blue & Yellow ment where not to Spray Weed killer...?

by BayColony1706

I agree. Blue/yellow markings are weed control indicatiors, governing where chemicals can and cannot be sprayed. It has nothing to do with utilities under the ROW.

by CSX Engineer 98

BrianS wrote:
I did notice blue & yellow spray painted lines on the rails at that location. At the time, I didn't think they would have indicated a crossing, but were MOW markings of some kind.[/quote]

That means utilities that cross under the tracks, such as phone, cable, fiber optic, ect

B[/quote]

Besides I dont know any right-of-way that Doesn't have some kind of Utility present........ :wink:

by BrianS

Thats what I was told, Perhaps they were wrong.

Our "resume speeed" slow order signs are yellow, not green, so I guess this place does it backwards as for most stuff

Brian