• Dark brown wood stain to simulate creosote?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by brucejob

Hi, all...

Any suggestions for a wood stain to reproduce the dark brown color of creosote-treated wood? I've tried Micro Mark's Railroad Tie & Bridge stain, but it leaves a green tint. MM also sells a brown stain, but this doesn't produce a dark enough shade of brown.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Bruce J.

by Otto Vondrak

I suggest black... fresh railroad ties are more jet black than brown... old ties are dark brown with light gray bleaching...

-otto-

by NYC-BKO

For new or newer ties I used diluted india ink, and soaked them in it for different lengths of time to represent brand new ties to ties a few years old.
For older ties, I used used various shades of brownish colored stains, again how much you put on determines the age coloring, I even did a mix of dipping in black then brown. Really diluted ink can give you that real old greyish appearance. Just experiment with various products, there is no right or wrong just what you like.

by jwb1323

For things like bridge timbers or other creosoted wood used in rail structures, I use something I saw in (I think) an article a long time ago in one of the mags. First I paint (plastic) or stain (wood) with Floquil Roof Brown. For wood, I dilute the Roof Brown in lacquer thinner and use it as a stain until I get the color I like. Then I dilute Polly Scale Oily Black in rubbing alcohol and go over the painted or stained pieces more lightly, so there are highlights in different shades. I've used this technique on a Walthers plastic wood testle kit and can't tell it from a wood trestle.

For track, I spray the switch or length of flex track with Floquil Grimy Black before I install it. Then I hit the sides of the rails with Floquil Rail Brown, allowing some sloppiness and overspray of the Rail Brown to hit the ties. I'm satisfied with this, too.

by Throttle_JCKY

Grime black and Rail Brown.
The darker I want the ties, the more Grime Black I add.
I no longer dip ties, I lay em and air brush em. If I have a section I need darker, then I buy the weathered ties from Micro Engineering and then paint if needed.

by krobar

I've used Kiwi black liquid shoe polish with good results. Get a small dish, put some of the polish in and soak the ties. Let them dry on a piece of wax paper and you're good to go. :D
  by bobs426

I use MINWAX Special Walnut stain. Of course you must thoroughly shake / stir the can before use.

I try to stain my ties before I glue them down. White glue impedes the stain.

I take a plastic cup, drill a bunch of random holes in the bottom, and fill it with a batch of ties. I then lower the cup into the can of stain. After the ties are all submerged, I pull the cup out and let the stain drain out. I then spread the ties out on old newspaper and let them dry.

After the ties have been glued down, I sand them very lightly to even out the surfaces, and apply more stain randomly with a paper towel.

I like the look of Minwax special walnut, it has a very rich color. A one quart can of stain will go a long way!

Bob S