• CSX East Rochester, NY derailment - 1/16

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by railfan87

......ooohhh CSX........not a good day for them....one derailment in Kentucky and now this one
  by jr

Just got back from looking at it. W/B Stack train on Track 2. At least one platform (and apparently several more) are in the street at Lincoln St. overpass. Several cars accordianed just to the East of Lincoln, several move leaning badly to the west of Lincoln. Trailing unit is still there, but lead unit was apparently cut off, and moved west.

CSX block truck was just arriving at approx 1000. No sign of Winters, yet.

Much of the village of E.R. is without power. There will be a lot of unhappy folks there, this cold night.

JR

by Sir Ray

In two ficking days, the two Kentucky derailments, this Rochester One, the NY&A derailed a propane car - we're worrying about terrorists when the American railroads can self-destruct well enough on their own. :(

by WANF-11--->Chaser

Per news conference, train was full of empty containers from Syracuse going to Buffalo. Report says train was going 60mph.

Thankfully there were not anything dangerous as was case in Kentucky. There are dozens of homes not more than 100 yards from tracks.

Bill Lumberg says:
CSX, yyyeeeah I'm gonna need you to stop derailing....mmmkay?

by Mike Roque

RAILROAD.NET correspondents on the scene report cars and containers on Lincoln road on the south side of the main. CSX 4781 west out in the vicinity of S. Washington Street. 4790 appears to remain tied on to the train and possibly derailed.

by Mike Roque

RAILROAD.NET correspondents at MP 361 report easbound trains moving on the shore.
  by TwoHands

They missed the red Dodge!!!!

by Mike Walsh

I went out to CP382 at about midnight, and spotted what was likely Q108 headed eastbound.... Then Keeper1616 and I caught two gp38's head west from where we presume was the Rochester Yard, then they waited at the EB signal at CP382, then proceeded EASTbound onto the west shore. I presumed they headed east to the other side of the accident site, to possibly pull some of the cars that were still ON the rails (if any), away from the scene to help get things cleaned up. After the GP's went east, it was approximatley TWO hours before anything happened, at which a mixed freight came westbound off the shore. 25 minutes later, an intermodal came through. I headed back to Henrietta to get some much needed sleep, but instead caught Amtrak train 285 westbound, and literally got out of my truck, while applying the e-brake, in time to catch the train crossing the river. There was no traffic around me, mind you. Then I headed further eastbound, hoping to catch Amtrak 49, but a friend had informed me earlier in the evening, that 49 was staying ahead of 285... In the trip from CP382 to Scottsville Rd., I doubt 49 could have passed in between the time I was in transit. I caught an WB freight at the overpass down by Denny's.

Photos may come if they turn out well with some editing.

Regards,
Deafmike

by pablo

I understand that there were not two derailments in Kentucky yesterday, but that second one which also involved evacuations was very recent...perhaps last Friday?

Dave Becker, clarifying a post above
Last edited by pablo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CPSD40-2

There was a derailment near Lexington KY on Monday, then a bigger one south of Louisville, KY Tuesday, then the one in East Rochester last night.

by Sir Ray

And also the one in Queens (NYC) on the NY&A I mentioned - not spectaluar (which is good), but it involved a propane car and so meant evacuation of the surrounding buildings. This week so far is not going down as a banner news day for the railroads...

by boblenon

So after hours of freezing and not sleeping (nor drinking) ....

http://www.protocol7.org/gallery2/v/CSXTWreckAtQC362

by boblenon

Main 1 is open agian ... amtrak just went by @ 10mph.

There is unconfirmed word that a panel track train is sitting in goodman now.