• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RailsEast

CSX 4429 shf, + 14, through Eatontown at 5:05 in the pm. Railbox box car on the head end, not sure if it's a brick car or not; remainder for Woodhaven.
  by NJT4149

I heard from a couple of different sources that SA-31 will take the train back today. I also heard that a run down the Southern on Thursday and a return on Friday will become a regular occurrence. The SA-38 crew has effectively been eliminated and SA-33 will do both Hightstown and Dayton on Fridays. If any of this information is untrue, please let me know; I do not like giving false info...
  by JohnFromJersey

I know that it's been said work has been ceased, but has anyone seen anything new on the line south of Lakehurst? I was wondering if they've totally packed up and left, with no intention of returning in the near future
  by TOMSTV1

RAILFAN

Re: Exploring the Southern Division (Blue Comet)

« Reply #283 on: Oct 3rd, 2016, 8:55am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I was down in Whiting, and I stopped by to talk to some of the railroad workers, and they told me that they were packing up , as the job had been shut down, at least for now. The picture is of the truck with their stuff packed up, and heading off to some other job up to north Jersey, so they tell me. The rails are still cut at Lakehurst under the bridge, and 1/4 mile south of Pasadena crossing, before the sand pits.
  by JohnFromJersey

The train is currently making its return trip
  by NJT4149

Train is currently sitting at Collingwood Auction
  by NJT4149

For those east of MP48, the train should have 21 cars; they have 5 to take out of Brick Recycling

Dropping a box off at Brick Recycling
Box is a buffer for the tank; they will be going back with 17
  by NJT4149

SA-31 approaching the Tinton Falls area at 6:28 in the PM
  by RailsEast

Thanks for the updates, NJT........through Shrewsbury at 7:00 in the pm.
Chris
  by GSC

So much new construction in the area of the Blue Claws stadium. Should keep the lumber trains to Woodhaven busy for some time.

Quality lumber as well, unlike the stuff with bark and branches and leaves the Big Orange Box sells.
  by JohnFromJersey

Maybe we'll be seeing some longer trains!
  by CJPat

Does anyone know what capacity the Woodhaven siding has for cars? I would think they are close to maximum and couldn't fit too many more cars on the property.
  by NJT4149

I'd say 17 or 18 cars would be maximum capacity. They usually only put 16 in at a time though.
  by RailsEast

Woodhaven has a 'comfortable' capacity of 16 cars. 2 tracks, 8 cars per track, consist is split in the middle of each track (i.e., 4 cars, then space for the forklifts to get through, then 4 cars). They may be able to squeeze a 17th car on the east track, but it would be tight and possibly foul the west track. If you don't split the consist on each track, and don't mind fouling the yard switch, I guess you could conceivably get 18 cars in there, but it would be a tedious effort offloading 18 cars in the space they have.
Chris