• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

ADMIN REMINDER:

We're talking about Amtrak, and transit, impacts. NOT about the origin of the virus, or efficacy in preventing transmission, etc., UNLESS it relates DIRECTLY to Amtrak and transit/transportation.

If you want info on Coronavirus/COVID, please visit an OFFICIAL site.

I will NOT let this forum be used to promulgate unofficial information.

Go argue it somewhere else.
  by exvalley

I have a trip on the SIlver Meteor booked for late April. I am flying to Florida to attend a conference (assuming it isn't canceled) and taking the train home.

My one request from Amtrak is that they decide what they are going to do and give people as much notice as possible. I'd rather not have to scramble to make changes to my travel plans at the last minute.

It's interesting that Amtrak seems to be sticking to its standard fare buckets. The airlines have drastically reduced prices on many of the most impacted routes. I have yet to see Amtrak do that. They appear to be happier letting the seat/room go than selling it at a below-lowest-bucket rate.
  by WashingtonPark

exvalley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:36 pm I have a trip on the SIlver Meteor booked for late April. I am flying to Florida to attend a conference (assuming it isn't canceled) and taking the train home.

My one request from Amtrak is that they decide what they are going to do and give people as much notice as possible. I'd rather not have to scramble to make changes to my travel plans at the last minute.

It's interesting that Amtrak seems to be sticking to its standard fare buckets. The airlines have drastically reduced prices on many of the most impacted routes. I have yet to see Amtrak do that. They appear to be happier letting the seat/room go than selling it at a below-lowest-bucket rate.
It seems as though they'd rather cancel trains, shorten consists, and get employees to voluntarily take time off without pay. It's their way of cutting expenses and getting to a break even point. Expect the airlines to do the same if this goes on much longer. Don't want you getting used to these lower fares.
  by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 pm Service to Ardmore suspended for 2 weeks, Keystone Service likely to see adjustments:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/co ... n/2324091/
I tried checking for official word from Amtrak... and someone's asleep at the switch. Again. No updates on their site.

It looks like they'll bypass Ardmore.
  by mtuandrew

What is Amtrak’s plan about New Rochelle? The entire city is a containment area but they can’t exactly stop using the NEC. Apologies if the answer is in the Metro-North forum.

exvalley: from a public health perspective Amtrak is doing the exact right thing. If anything it should increase prices further and keep the same number of cars. Fewer people aboard + much more space between those people + fewer people using each bathroom = lower risk of transmission.

I’m selfishly glad that my parents are returning WAS-MSP a day earlier than planned, leaving Saturday rather than Sunday. Setting them up with additional food, water, and antiseptics for the trip too, since I’m not confident Amtrak will continue the same level of food service.
  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:31 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 pm Service to Ardmore suspended for 2 weeks, Keystone Service likely to see adjustments:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/co ... n/2324091/
I tried checking for official word from Amtrak... and someone's asleep at the switch. Again. No updates on their site.

It looks like they'll bypass Ardmore.
Keystone operating on “S” schedule March 13-30.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmtrakNECAle ... 42/photo/1
  by exvalley

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 pm
exvalley: from a public health perspective Amtrak is doing the exact right thing. If anything it should increase prices further and keep the same number of cars. Fewer people aboard + much more space between those people + fewer people using each bathroom = lower risk of transmission.
I was thinking farther out. I have seen aggressive airline discounting well into late summer and fall.
  by mtuandrew

exvalley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:34 pmI was thinking farther out. I have seen aggressive airline discounting well into late summer and fall.
Got it - and I think Amtrak is still betting they will be ok. They may lose some passenger volume but in the end, if they have a larger operating loss than usual it’s ultimately on our dime.

Also, I see why airlines are chopping fares like that, but it’s irresponsible given that we don’t know when (or where) this pandemic will peak and recede. Amtrak can do a big summer or fall sale once One Mass knows the virus has largely run its course.
  by Arborwayfan

To mtuandrew's reasons that it's good Amtrak isn't slashing fares, I would add this: it is not good right now to encourage people to travel because some of them might be infected already and get sick at the other end. That's how diseases move around.

The descriptions of the troop trains during the flu pandemic in 1918 are particularly gruesome: loads of apparently healthy soldiers would leave a camp for a couple-day trip to a port to go to France, and some would come down with flu along the way. They'd screen out all the sick ones, put the rest on the ships, and the same thing would happen on the ships. Then in France some would go to hospitals and the rest to the front. And some would get sick there. And some of the French people would get sick. And of the sick at each stage, some died. But the call for troops was too pressing for the government to be willing to stop the troop transports. Covid 19 is not quite so deadly, but the basic train related principal still holds. It's just better for most of us to sit tight.

I wonder if Amtrak or the airlines carry any kind of epidemic/pandemic insurance, or have Cat bonds (bonds at a relatively high interest rate that do not have to be paid if certain things happen at certain times), or any such thing.
Last edited by Arborwayfan on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by east point

Airlines may have a tougher time ramping up depending on how long the cut backs are. Pilots have to maintain their proficiency every 90 days. Other wise it is a trip to the simulator to requalify 3 take offs and landings + a few other maneuvers.
  by mtuandrew

Arborwayfan: airlines almost certainly yes, Amtrak likely not (since it has the biggest insurer in the world backing its service.)

And thank you for bringing up that influenza pandemic. The major reason the so-called Spanish Flu was more deadly than COVID-19 is because we simply didn’t have the medical facilities or technology that we do today, nor the instant communication about what measures are successful at containment. (There also aren't nearly as many people today living in conditions like the war fronts in 1918.) It isn’t because of an intrinsic lack of danger from this virus.
  by eolesen

Disney is closing its parks in both Florida and California, so I'd expect AutoTrain to take a huge hit right now.

Corridors will rebound, but leisure/long distance won't recover that quickly. People aren't going to simply jump back into crowds or close quarters like trains or planes. They'll drive themselves.
  by David Benton

eolesen wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:37 am Disney is closing its parks in both Florida and California, so I'd expect AutoTrain to take a huge hit right now.

Corridors will rebound, but leisure/long distance won't recover that quickly. People aren't going to simply jump back into crowds or close quarters like trains or planes. They'll drive themselves.
and not use any gas stations/ restrooms /food stops on the way ??? . Anyone really concerned will probably just stay home. I guess the auto train has the additional concern of 2 workers driving your car. Bu Amtrak could counter that with publication of proof of appropriate procedures been followed.
I guess my perspective may be different, we only have 5 cases nationwide , with no increase in the last 6 days.
  by eolesen

My point about AutoTrain has nothing to do with someone moving the car.... It will be taking an immediate hit due to the fact many families go to Florida specifically for the theme parks, which are quickly closing down. Those who simply head to the beach will continue to ride. Maybe.

Long term, I can see some people remaining averse to the notion of spending a day or so in close quarters with a couple hundred strangers in the dining facilities, lounges, etc.