Railroad Forums 

• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1536190  by mtuandrew

CarterB wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am The media has so overblown the corona virus, that economy is tanking out of fear and panic.
1. Virus predominantly is not severe, and really not that dangerous to anyone under age 65
Yep, that’s why I’m concerned about my parents - and tbh a number of the members here :wink:

As Tad said, be safe and conscientious.
 #1536194  by WashingtonPark

Backshophoss wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm Figure on the left(west)coast services taking hits,in Ca and the Sea-Tac metroplex.
Most commuter operators will ramp up "deep cleaning/disinfection" programs shortly.
What Amtrak started in Chicago and St Louis should be done system wide.
When they start cleaning the restrooms on 14 hour trains like The Vermonter during the trip I'll believe they are serious about trying to stop the spread of disease. Most restrooms on the NE Corridor are absolutely disgusting.
 #1536201  by JamesRR

Noticed a very, very slight drop in volume on NJ Transit NEC line this morning. Nothing that I'd probably think twice about under any other circumstances, but noticed less cars in the parking garage and maybe slightly less crowded train.

Bigger drop-off has been in NYC where many subways were noticeably emptier this morning. Depends on the line and neighborhoods served, but it's clear many are avoiding mass transit.
 #1536216  by TomNelligan

As an over-65 guy with some health issues I'd rather be paranoid than in the hospital. I have a Boston-New York recreational Amtrak trip planned for the end of this month but given the daily multiplication of virus cases it's looking doubtful. I think it's certain that this epidemic is going to temporarily cut ridership and decrease revenue on all modes of transportation other than private autos.
 #1536315  by John_Perkowski

ADMIN NOTE

Some ground rules

NO POLITICS. I'll repeat that: NO POLITICS.

Use information provided by the World Health Organization, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and local public health authorities.

DO. NOT. SPREAD. RUMORS!

This thread will be actively moderated. Posts failing these rules will be removed without warning. Posters failing these rules may receive up to immediate timeouts from the board without warning.
 #1536400  by eolesen

The immediate impact of the hysteria is going to be 30,000 to 100,000 workers in the travel sector going without pay.

I'm guessing a minimum of 30,000 will be furloughed or see hours greatly reduced at US airlines alone due to reduced schedules/demand. Another 20,000 or so in the cruise industry, and who knows how many in the hotels and companies that support convention/trade shows.

That's just the direct impact in the US. Triple that globally.

Perhaps close to a million workers will be impacted in travel alone because people don't wash hands or control where they cough/sneeze...
 #1536419  by STrRedWolf

Latest email from Amtrak:
The safety of our customers and employees is Amtrak's top priority. We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and are taking action based on guidance from public health experts. In order to maintain a safe environment and address customer concerns, we are taking measures including:
• Enhanced cleaning protocols. We have increased the frequency of cleaning service on our trains and at our stations.
• Additional antibacterial products. We have increased the quantity of sanitizers and disinfectant wipes available for customers and employees throughout our trains and stations.
• No change fees on bookings made through April 30, 2020. We are waiving change fees so you can book travel on Amtrak® with confidence, knowing you have the flexibility to change your plans.
We have temporarily suspended three trains that operate between New York and Washington (Trains 2401, 2402, 2403) due to lower demand and additional changes to our schedule are under consideration. Amtrak continues to operate 300 daily trains, including more than 100 daily trains on the Northeast Corridor and continues to serve all of our stations. If schedules are modified for any existing reservation, we will contact you to provide an update.
We will continue to respond to the latest on COVID‑19 with customer and employee safety top of mind. Please visit this page for further information on our efforts, which we will continually update. For additional information about the Coronavirus, visit the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) website . As always, we will strive to create a safe and enjoyable experience for your Amtrak journey. Thank you for being an Amtrak customer.
 #1536429  by Train60

Someone left this interesting comment on Amtrak's official Facebook page:
"Hello! I just received a notice from Amtrak about precautions being taken. I appreciate all the precautions. The email says that there will be "Additional antibacterial products." Please note that because COVID-19 is a virus, it does not respond to anti-bacterial substances. For COVID-19, wipes and similar products should be alcohol-based. This is reflected in the CDC guidance that Amtrak is following. On my train (Capitol Corridor in CA), there are a bunch of equipment-cleaning wipes that do not contain any alcohol. These could actually lead people to think they are protected when they are not, and then touch their faces and do other things that increase risk of exposure. Please also make sure that you use the right language around this in your public communications, so as not to spread misinformation about the types of cleaning products that are protective. Thank you. Julia Caplan, MPH"

Not good news, if correct.
 #1536434  by Wash

I got an email from Amtrak that also touted their increased placement of antibacterial products in response to a virus.
 #1536435  by Gilbert B Norman

Trust I'm not the only one around here in receipt of this "love letter"
Dear Gilbert,

The safety of our customers and employees is Amtrak's top priority. We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and are taking action based on guidance from public health experts. In order to maintain a safe environment and address customer concerns, we are taking measures including:
• Enhanced cleaning protocols.....
• Additional antibacterial products..
• No change fees....
We have temporarily suspended..
Thank you for being an Amtrak customer.
Sincerely,
Roger Harris
Chief Marketing and
Revenue Officer
I hsve also received similar from United Airlines and Hyatt Hotels - both of which I'm in their rewards plans, as well as Amtrak's.
 #1536439  by Train60

"Amtrak Ridership Plunges Amid Virus Outbreak" - Wall Street Journal 3/11/2020 by Ted Mann
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/corona ... dBAsBMuK7v
Amtrak officials say future bookings have fallen by half and revenue has plunged as fears of coronavirus infection have deterred travelers from riding the national passenger railroad.

Trip cancellations are up 300%, and ticket revenues are expected to fall by “several hundred million dollars,” Amtrak's chief operating and commercial officer, Stephen Gardner wrote Wednesday in a memo to employees that was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
The dramatic downtown in reservations is in line with what the airlines are seeing.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added fair-use quote - mtuandrew
 #1536481  by Launcher

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:45 pm Why is Amtrak not filling every sleeping car room at a premium price?

You want to take a trip but don’t want to be with a crowd? Amtrak sleeping car. Duh.
Here's another know-it-all. Have you ever actually been in an Amtrak sleeping car? They have shared bathrooms for the most part. They have shared showers. They have shared coffee stations. Meals are at shared dining tables. You have a curtain and that's all you have protecting you from the next bunker. You all essentially have to breathe the same air for 25 hours, and can't even open a window to air it out. No I think most people would rather fly because planes have so many empty seats, or cancel altogether.